RANT: Dell+Windows+corrupt registry=12 hours and counting

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plinden, Jan 31, 2006.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I can't wait till my new Mac arrives - sure, I know it may have problems, but I'm really pissed off with my Dell. Ok, it has lasted me four years, and when it's running, it's fast enough for most standard things plus CivIII and SimCity.

But it's been giving us trouble over the past 6 months or so, so I decided to reinstall Windows ... I'm now on the third reinstall since Sunday (each install takes about 30-35 minutes, but then I have the Windows updates to install, which takes another 2-3 hours). Each time, it ended up with a different problem - the first time, it ended up in a cycle of booting, something failing, rebooting, continuously. Last time, explorer (not MSIE, rather the shell program) wouldn't load, so there was no access at all, even in safe mode. And using a pre-SP1 windows repair disk doesn't work if you've upgraded to SP2 - you end up with a corrupted system.

I may be doing this on my own time, but $60x12hours = $720.

A sign of madness is doing the same thing over and over expecting the result to be different - so I must be mad but my wife needs the computer. Still, when my iMac arrives (it left Subic Bay in the Phillipines yesterday), I'll have a way out of this madness.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

All I can say is "...been there done that."

After a year or so with a Mac, you, too, will lose sympathy for people in your current state.

3. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

hardware problem? i haven't had any problems with my windows 2000 machine (which spends 99% of the time in linux...)

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, that's why ;)

5. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, the third install had the same problem as the second - it apparently worked fine, but on rebooting, explorer fails to start so I'm left looking at a blank screen.

I went and installed Debian Linux on it, and I've been playing around with it for the past three hours without any problems.

6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Father Jack's method works best. Get loaded on whiskey and smash it!! :)