Rant pt.1

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by milzay, Sep 11, 2006.

1. milzay macrumors member

Rant...
    So i just got a new MacBook Pro after upgrading from the iMac 17” G4. Some whining noises, but overall really happy and relieved there are no problems. However, I am kind of pissed off. This time is just way too transitional for my liking and really giving me a headache. For example, I want a word processing package and have looked into all the possible alternaives. Office would be my first choice, but it isn’t UB and I’ll have to pay for an upgrade next year at the earliest, additionaly I want to feel the upgrade from my iMac to MBP. Open Office / Neo Office don’t really interest me, as they’re not native to OS X. This left me looking at Pages which i haven’t heard great things about, although after experimenting with it, I’m really impressed. Again though, if I buy it now I’ll have to upgrade and pay more next year when 07 comes out.
    This just seems to be the case with everything I need. Photoshop, not UB, Maya, not UB. So I’ve got all this new machine ready to go and for the next half year at least I’m going to be stuck in the same position I was when using the iMac with OS X 10.2. Atleast then I knew I was getting the most out of the old boy. Like friggin moving from a bicycle to a Ferrari, and constantly have 20 mph speed limit, along with a bitchful of taxes (interim software -> perm software).
    So that leaves me with one choice, get Windows XP, and pay for all the sftware I need, then next year pay for the same software on the Mac. I don’t know who to blame, late notice from Apple or laziness from developers. Am i the only one predicting another rise in piracy. Deservedly so. Anyway, rant over. Just to set the record straight I won’t be using Windows XP, uni coms will do for now.
    Tune in to my next rant about free apps...

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

What is all this about "having" to upgrade. You don't "have" to upgrade anything. No one will force you to. It is your choice.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why did you upgrade when you knew these apps weren't ready? After all, none of this should have come as a surprise.

Not one Mac in the office will be upgraded until all apps are UB.

4. iGav macrumors G3

I think we need a 'Bitch Forum' where people can just... bitch.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yes it could be set to delete posts after 24 hours :) So only a few people will have to be subjected to the rant!

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That's the way I've looked at it from the get go and have held off with any hardware updates until well into '07. I'm ordering a new iBook G4 for my wife this week since all the present apps (Pro Apps, etc) cover her needs.

It takes intentional sales resistance to delay getting the newest and fastest without taking into account the whole picture.... obligatory IMHO

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Maybe yourself?

As the next poster put it...

Well considering a Macbook is WAY faster than an iBook, why would you want to cripple your wifes computing by buying her an iBook? With the abundance of UB's out there at the moment and the fact that a macbook will more than likely beat an iBook at photoshop, even with rosetta, it seems like a no brainer to get a MacBook.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

can you not just run the existing copies and let Rosetta take care of the translation from PowerPC to Intel? I am unsure as to whether Office is supported by Rosetta, though...

9. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Who cares??? Run everything through Rosetta. Stop complaining and if necessary, go back to your old computer to run them despite your MBP running them faster in Rosetta anyway.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

One size hardly ever fits all. You don't know her or our context including her preferences, proficiency levels, application needs and pocket book. She liked her iBook G3. She wants another iBook. Different thinking doesn't imply its absence :p

That said, we're still checking out the pros and cons of the present plan, so thanks for the input. My original point was that there is always a larger context involved in purchasing a new box.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Let's not bother with part 2 if it's the result of you not researching before purchase.

And if we have to, any chance of breaking it up into shorter paragraphs with breaks between them so it's easier to scan

12. milzay thread starter macrumors member

TBH, i would not have upgraded, but got a really good deal ont his.
    15 " Sceen
    2 ghz
    256mb graphics card
    1gb ram
    100gb hard drive
    Brand New and from well known retailer
    £700, consider at the Apple shop the same model (only difference is processor is 2.16 instead of 2) is £1,699
    Its just really frustrating and I feel like I'm in no-mans land. And you're right, no-one's holding a gun to my head telling me to buy sutff now or later, but really some of these apps are quite necessary for what I do. Also, going back to uni in a few days, so the iMac will be staying at home. I just find it really frustrating, and I don't see why so many of you, consumers like me, are giving these companies such an easy ride. They should care about Apple users and atleast offer a patch for the time being. The companies that haven't released UB's are not small companies, they should be able to find the resources to support us. They may not make money, but its a show o appreciation and goodwill to consumers.
    Yes, this is a bitch thread, I make no attempt to say otherwise.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

New iBook is about the same price as a MacBook. The macbook is definately worth the little extra due to it's dual core processor and faster speeds. It looks basically like a thinner wider iBook so she probably won't notice the difference. It has a better screen so it would be easier on her eyes. It has two finger scrolling built in which should help proficiency :)

Plus looking to the future, there is more life left in a macbook than an iBook. It will run newer programs faster and better. Meaning she will work faster and better. As for application needs, it will run everything she wants and either do it at the same speed as an iBook or even faster.

The pros definately out weigh the cons.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tell me something. As a student, you're going to buy both Maya and Photoshop, right?

16. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You got a macbook pro for 700 and you are complaining? My god man sell it for a massive profit if you hate it that much and go buy an old G4. I know a whole load of people who'd be willing to swap their Powerbook G4's for that. Plus i know a whole lot more who'd rather they got that brilliant deal than an ungrateful ...

I don't think i'm gonna reply to any posts by you in future...

17. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Blue Velvet, this topic will be covered in my next rant. But in short, No.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then what right do you have to complain if you're not putting your hand in your pocket to support the companies that produce the software that you say you need?

I would wager that you don't need this software at all.

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thanks. It is helpful to have different opinions and options to add to the mix.

P.S. I smell wasteland ahead, so I'll bale. Anywho, thanks for the infput. Most appreciated.

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Of course there's no such thing as a "new" iBook, but a refurb can be had for several hundred dollars less than a new MB.

On the issue of working "faster and better," that depends upon the intended uses. Simple needs, such as Safari, Mail, and Word are not any faster or better (aside from a slightly higher resolution) on a MB versus an iBook G4 to any significant degree, especially when there's a difference of several hundred dollars involved. :)

21. milzay thread starter macrumors member

OK, we're now onto rant 2.
    If I was to buy all the software I have used in the last 8 months it would cost thousands (Maya, Photoshop, Flash). This is the software the uni uses. Really Im not willing to pay thousands so I use pirate copies, the thing is companies like Adobe should appreciate that we students are the people who will be using their software, we're the ones that will be ulitmately buying their products. They should be the ones offering all sorts, offering free programs, obviously, purely for non commercial uses. I don't she why I should pay thousands for personal learning. Although I may not be buying it, my uni buys 100s of licenses from them, and ultimately when I do use these programs to make money I will pay for these products.
    Truthfully, if piracy never existed, Adobe would not even be close to being as popular and rich as they are now, computer graphics would be generations behind what we're seeing today. I think its time companies got smart and realise that piracy is real and tackle the problem effectively. Locking up people like me is ********, we're the future they should be doing evrything to try and get us hooked on their products, they need people like me as much we need them.
    I hope this provides sufficient reason as to why I have the right to complain.
    I do not like piracy, I hate to see people selling pirated software, it reallly does disgust me. But in this case I am not ashamed to admit to using pirated software. Its time for companies like Adobe to open their eyes and stop trying to be so greedy, help the future after all the the benefits for them will be greatly increased.
    I congratulate the Maya team for offering Maya PLE, however I can't hand in work with watermarks all over it and the file types for PLE are different than those of normal Maya.
    Note to Blue Velvet: All knowing one, Im sure even you would agree these apps are necessary for a student studying Computer Animation and Special Effects.
    BTW, I do think my Macs great, just frustrated I can't utilise it fully. Also apologies for the quality of English used, so please do not drag this down into a grammatical lesson.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then get them on a student/edu license. Pirating software invalidates your entire argument... whining because the software you've never paid for hasn't been updated? Please.

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Maya even has a free personal learning edition, for students and others who need to learn the program before buying it.

If you cannot afford a stand alone Photoshop Licence, then go for Elements. Either way, student licences for Photoshop and Flash shouldn't cost too much. Maybe you should have gotten a cheaper Mac so you could afford the software you say you must have... :rolleyes:

24. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Blue Velvet did you even try to read my last reply. Im surprised by your arrogance, to give a reply without even addressing any of the issues I mentioned. Please before you reply, read the previous post (not only targetted towards Blue Velvet).

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes and in full, unfortunately. If anyone is displaying arrogance, it's the likes of people who rant about software not being updated when they haven't purchased it in the first place. That is the point I'm addressing which was the original topic to start with.

When you or your organisation pays cold, hard cash to buy software than by all means, rant about it all you like. But expecting people to feel sympathy for your plight is a bit rich if you ask me.

When I was a design student, I had to work to save up to buy an SLR and all my design gear. I didn't go out and steal it, and if I had, I certainly then wouldn't have the cheek to rant about it not working as I expected it to.

Where do people get this ridiculous sense of entitlement from?