RANT: Time to clear up a misconception.. You computer isn't a MAC, you have a Mac.

Discussion in 'Community' started by yellow, Dec 1, 2003.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is probably not worth your time to read.

Quite often I see people posting about their MAC but meaning to talk about their Mac. Your computer isn't a MAC! It's called a Mac, dang-diddly-ang-it! I nominate myself to fix this! Therefore I must explain what a MAC is (in reference to computers and computer-related equipment), as opposed to a Mac. If for no reason other then to make myself feel better..

MAC = An acronym for Media Access Control, the unique identifier of your network card, also known as an ethernet hardware address.

Mac = The shortened name for Macintosh. A computer built by a California fruit company that has a small, but virulent, following of groupies.

Please, don't offend your Mac(intosh) by referring to it as an ethernet hardware address.

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

When i was a freshman in college a girl got a new ibook and they asked for her MAC address on the form to get internet, she filled out her room number and residence hall. She didn't quite figure it out. But yes its Mac, NOT MAC.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yes of course your right, but who cares ...

every couple of months someone flips on this kinda dumb imo... next your going to make sure everyone uses proper capitalization when says iPod or iBook ....

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I love my poWerBoOk !
    MAC makes good computers...

:D

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

6. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

You were warned! Yet you still read it...

7. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, next I shall expound upon the proper usages of "your" and "you're". :)

However, kwyjibo is a perfectly cromulent scrabble word that enbiggens us all.

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'd prefer that you stick with important ones like the difference between "good" and "well" ;)

9. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's a well idea!

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

MAC is also a cosmetics company my last girlfriend used to buy from. ;)

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

MAC

MAC is also a chain of ATMs (the teller machines), that you use with your Money Access Card...

your / you're; there/their/they're, its/it's, and people thinking that they have to add an apostrophe before the 's' to make things plural! *grumble* ;)

12. jap4n macrumors member

yes.. Mac/MAC

get it right. it annoys some people... not me though..

off the subject;
    last night i got drunk and met some nice german tourists at the LOTR premiere.
    :D

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You shouldn't end sentences with a preposition. :D

Details aren't a part of most people's lives, unfortunately.

14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

and if someone doesn't know the difference before they start reading MR, chances are they'll catch on pretty soon. so, unfortunately, you're probably ranting to the choir.

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

:) some people don't care about there errors, some people make errors intentionally to annoy others, your taking it all too seriously, its not a huge problem ....

those are both intentional and bad habits brought on by laziness ...

I love my mAC

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

who really cares that much, and get with the times, people online spell everything in as many different forms as possible now. Do I find it annoying, yes, do I start a thread to complain about it, no.
    And for someone so interested in grammar, you should have said "your computer....." not "You computer....."

17. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, it's always much better to end a sentence with a proposition.

Of course we can always compound that error by suggestion a bunch of different positions.

And for those that like things in great detail..

The more details you can include about the positions used in the proposition, the better.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

Exactly.

A couple of days ago I checked IGN's FAQ list as to how to view their site. They suggested either a PC or a Mac (all caps) with a 1028 x 768 screen resolution.

I'm still looking on Dealtime to find the cheapest available monitor, but they're all sold out.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

MAC numbers aren't just for ethernet. they're for any network interface, 802.11b included...

and yes, this is driving me nuts too. really nice guy at work, open to Macs, he and i have been working on getting our resident Mac in good shape... and he keeps calling it a MAC G-4. i can't figure out how to approach that without sounding like a dickhead.

pnw

21. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Un4tunately, that wood bee inpossible.

The reeson i think taht this issue is so contenchus on 4ums is beccos speeling and gramma r often used as cheapshot putdowns by those with no better counterarguments.

Now, on the ohter hand, inadeqaute use of paragraphs is a REAL issue for legibility ;)

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't it worse when the mistakes are coming from someone who is supposedly a fanatic?

I just saw an article today where the author called the computer a MacIntosh. Of course, McIntosh used to be a perfectly acceptable mistake as well.

Was that Apple computer line Performa or Preforma or Proforma as I often see?

How many times have you seen a data transfer rate specified as /mb? There is no such thing as a millibit, but people often use it. One of my recent instructors was comparing hardware protocols and FireWire came out to be much faster than Ultra2SCSI as it was 400 mb/sec. compared to 80 mb/sec.

23. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Eys but ti is imptorant to rleaise taht most poepel can rade work iven when splte incortcetly.

About the Ultra SCSI320 vs Firewire, who ever wrote that article should have been given a big slap.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What did I say earlier about details? :D

It was Ultra2SCSI, not Ultra SCSI320. :D

25. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, I for one, am very happy this topic is being addressed. It seems this "MAC" ignorance comes in waves here on the forums, and right now we're in the thick of it. It has been bothering me for the last two weeks. Yes, I am very anal. :p