Rant/Vent

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Jan 15, 2006.

1. CompUser Guest

UGHHHHH!!

This has been bugging me for a while.

My dad used to work for ABB as president of the Power Plant controls division. His company cheaped out and wanted to move everything to ohio and lay off a bunch of people. My dad had the option of moving to Ohio or getting laid off. He chose to get laid off. He has a lot of connections and after two weeks of being out of a job, he went to work for a new company. There he is the President of Electrical Engineering, Aux. Systems, and Proposals (Power Plant related). Thats fine in all but he works about 1.5hrs away in worcester, ma. He leaves the house every morning at 6:00 and comes back aroun 7:30-8:00. And now the power plant control division at his old company, which was 20min is dead. In fact, the last year he worked there they brought in 14 million in revenue. Now that his division was broken apart, they brought in kust under 4 million dolars. And they are laying off a bunch of more people including my neighbor.

So anyways, he works 1.5Hrs away, he is never home and when he is, he's to tired to do anything. On the weekends he is always busy toom, either working around the house or doing something at work. For instance, yesterday he had to get some kind of electricians certification and today he was doing a bunch of finacial paperwork.

When there is bad weather, he still goes to work, he just leaves early to avoi the storm, which has been as early as 4:30am. Last thursday he had a huge proposal he had to get finsished cause the guy he hired to manage all the other people (cause he is incharge of two other divisions) was on vacation. He got home at 1:30 am and woke up at 5:15am and left at 6:00am. Then sometimes he has to go out to dinner with customers which means he gets home around 11:00.

On vacation at our beach house, he is there maybe 3 weeks out of the time I'm out of school. Most of the time he's on the phone or doing work on his laptop. Same with when we're skiing in VT. Or if we are driving somewhere he's talking to some guy in africa about a building a new power plant.

Talk about workoholic.

When I was little, he went to africa for months at a time. Came back for a week or two, and went back again. When I was like 6-11 he would constantly be in germany, italy, switzarland, or Sweeden. From 12-14 he would go to ohio every week for two days. Now he does his really long commutes, goes to PA fairly often cause thats where they have an mfg plant. He also has had to go to some sawdust and bark burning powerplant 300miles north of quabec.

So quite frankly I wouldn't mind moving. If it means being able to do stuff with him, not having him be tired and cranky all the time, and not spending $6,000 a year driving a fricking Land Rover Discovery 150 miles everyday getting I dunno 15mpg. So thats gas + tolls + and mainting the car that much more.

I am not a nerd, dork, looser, w/e at my school. I am actually in the top of the social standings. But I am tired of my stupid little semi-hick town and about 90% of the people in it. I also hate most of my teachers although I am getting good grades. My science teacher is a complete pain in the ass and he just is one to be one. My math teacher is stupid- like actually stupid, if not mentally retarded- I'm moving out of his class after midterms to a different honors geometry teacher. My graphic design teacher is an annoying 60 year old looser that knows nothing computers and tries to start fights. My applied electronics teacher although sorta cool, has been on so many drugs he is so messed up- claiming to have seen hell in his basement and lies just manipulate people into believing certain thoughts. I'm not emo and wanting to cut myself, but I am stressed out like crazy. Last weekend I had 4 major projects to do for school, and in manditory group projects, who ends up doing all the work...me.

Thanks for reading this rather long rant. Post here or AIM me if you want to give me some comments. I'm about to explode just because.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Talk about the perfect definition of an emo high school kid.

which all this ranting reminds me to update my signature for another month

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

boy does he

i don't even know if my father is alive he ran away when i was 3 and my brother 3 months.

:rolleyes:

5. CompUser thread starter Guest

Actually I'm not emo at all. I'm more preppy abercrombie and fitch, jcrew, polo kinda person. Clean wrists too.

I think I am just tired and just angry.

----
    Add to rant: my motherly figure left today to sun bathe at my aunts house in florida.

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Well, at least you can take your mind off things by vacationing at your summer house, or by visiting the slopes..

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

think you quoted the wrong person there :p

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And the saddest thing of all is that he's doing it all for you and his family so that you can go the beach, so your 'motherly figure' can go sunbathing so you can go skiing.

I'm sure there were other factors in his not moving to Ohio and that he dislikes a 90 minutes commute more than you do. Chill and give him a break.

9. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Nah, just being sarcastic.

10. CompUser thread starter Guest

Quite frankley I am convinced working is the only part of his life he works.

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Personally, if my dad had a job like this I would feel the same way too. I mean yeah he has to support the family, but if he spends all of his life working a job, what does he have to show? He worked alot! Whoopie! Spending time with your family is a lot more important that working a job 24/7. Seems like that no one who has posted can understand that.

12. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

You guys shouldnt do the whole compare pain thing...i.e. my dad left when I was three what are you crying about?

The person wants to spend more time with his dad and its his right to want to. Sheesh

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yup, life has challenges, welcome to your introduction to adulthood. We all face similar but not identical crises.

You're not gonna get your Dad to change -- it's his way of doing the best he knows how for his family. Because of his effort, you have more quality of life than, (perhaps 80%-90%?) of families in the USA (and you want to compare with the rest of the world it's probably 99th percentile). So: What can you do to support your Dad? (asking him to change what he cannot change won't help). Moving is an option, but it is a whole-family decision with a million factors to consider.

Your teachers: Well, there are ignorant people in the world and you will meet them as bosses, co-workers, employees, clients, friends and family. Here's your chance to develop skills in dealing with what you can't avoid. First step: If you are the one challenging the teachers, or the one that they are debating with in class, ask youself if this is really getting your needs met? Can you get more out of the class by going undercover, not talking back? (I don't know this, just speculating). Changing class to a better teacher is a good move, if you can manage it in a non-confrontational way.

Study groups: Hate to repeat myself but developing teamwork skills with people who are not as motivated as yourself is a valuable life and work skill. A leader doesn't do everything himself, he helps his teammates contribute to the team to the best of their ability. Believe me, people who demonstrate this skill move up in responsibility and pay much faster in the workplace than lone-wolves.

14. Lau thread starter Guest

But that depends if the original poster and his family are willing to give up their beach house, skiing holidays and designer clothes, etc and for him to earn a lower salary in order to have that family time.

15. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

He wasn't crying. He just simply posted he wants to spend more time with his dad...

16. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Well IMO, if I were in this situation, I would. But that is me; and what do I know?

17. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I wasnt saying he was crying, I Was saying that is how some of the posters in this thread responded to him.....Acting like because their situation is "worse" that this kid doesnt have a grip or vent.

18. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Whoops, sorry 'bout that! :eek:

I guess it's becuase it didn't have quotes around it!

19. Lau thread starter Guest

Me too. Not that I've ever been skiing or had a beach house.

CompUser, if you and your family value your dad's time over these things, maybe it's worth speaking to him about it?

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

When someone's suffering psychologically, they're suffering no matter what their socio-economic class. Cut the kid a break.

@Compuser:

I think your desire to get out of your hometown but to at the same time see more of your family is natural -- even normal! Have you talked to your dad about how you feel? That can be hard to do, but it can make a huge impact.

What does your dad like to do outside of work? Any sporting events you can go to together? Museums? Other things the two of you can do?

21. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I've been talking to CompUser for a few months over AIM. I can say from experience that he's not emo at all. He's lucky to have the standard of living that he does; many people, including myself, aren't so lucky. I remember when my father had to work full time as a machinist to put bread on the table, while being a full-time student (so he could get a higher-paying job in computer science). For most of my childhood, he was at the factory or the university, never at home. At 5 years of age, I apparantly asked my mother if 'daddy loved us anymore'.

I can feel the same way about CompUser's family. I would hate to be missing my father for such a long period, to practically never see him. I feel sorry for him, as well as eva01. It's hard to grow up without a dad. :(

22. CompUser thread starter Guest

Well he likes woodworking, he has billions of tools.

He's always too busy or tired to do anything though.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

He's definitely a workaholic! And he seems to be very successful. You are able to live a comfortable life because of these things. Not many teenagers would recognize his work ethic and want to do more with his or her parent(s). I think it's tremendous that you have done so. Have you spoken with your dad about your thoughts? Many fathers think it's their role in the family to work all the time and bring home the cash.

As far as school, well, that's where you have to kind of 'suck it up'. There's not a lot of choice in who you get when it comes to teachers. And if you moved you'd get another bunch of winners. You didn't say anything about your English teacher, and that's what I do, so that's a good thing. ;) :D

Does your school work bore your or not challenge you? Sometimes there's other schooling opportunities in college courses, or even an advanced high school residence campuses. Of course, that would move you away from your family further.

Take my comments with a grain of salt...I tend to try to fix things for people. There's good and bad with your situation. Overall, it's good that you are smart enough to recognize what's going on around you! Hang in there!

24. CompUser thread starter Guest

I never fight with my teachers, most of it is at a good level for me. Science and graphic design are way to easy. Science is just stupid- interpreting demographics and learning about how we're killing the environment. Unforntunatly, on his testss he asks questions and you have to answer them really really well to get full credit. Easy subject, tough grader.

25. CompUser thread starter Guest

guess who he's on the phone with right now....

co-worker..