Discussion in 'Community' started by bursty, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
    aahhh i am getting so sick and tired of fixing my brothers XP machine. it seems like every other week im reformatting and reinstalling to get clear out his weekly batch of viruses and spyware! im at the point where im ready to just buy him a Mac Mini and be done with it. :mad:

thanks for listening

2. matix macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I know how you feel. My girlfriends parents pc is always screwed up. Her bro's don't get how iMesh or Kazaa is an invitation for disaster, or that IE is so insecure.

I even loaded firefox on it and set it to the default browser, but they still fish around to find IE because... well i don't know why. Perhaps this is indicative of how ingrained Windoze is in the layperson's world. they just don't know any better.

All we can do is be their hero, every 2 weeks, and continue evangelizing the mac.

People seem know and acknowledge that macs have a reputation for being stable, but they aren't all buying em. gratz to all the switchers on this board.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    'Zactly what I felt about my daughter's PC. So i did.
  4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    got my mom an eMac a couple of months ago, 1 brother went in with me on it, the other didn't and wanted to know why were weren't getting her a dell. I told him I would split the cost on the dell with him, but he would have to fix it and care for it cause I would not. He said, ok get the Mac!
  5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Okay, I'll chime in. Last week, I had 4 days of presentations to make at a conference in Ft. Lauderdale. The set up included large screens, projectors and a (my AlPB) with VGA connection and a Dell with XP beside it connected with their "serial" cable to the same projector; so switching was (should have been) a cake walk going from RGB1 to 2 or SVideo. We ran mostly DVD's, PowerPoints, Keynote, and various videos tapping either QuickTime or WindowsMediaPlayer. While I "popped and played" whatever, whenever, we had to wait while some 4 XP "pros" gathered around their box trying out configurations galore. It really got old. We listened to our company IT drone on in one session about virus solutions. During the Q&A time, I asked, "what is a virus?". It got a lot of laughs mixed with sneers and an off the cuff from the IT. "O, Macs do have viruses (virii) whatever". I'm so weary of the same ol' same ol' and have little hope it will ever change. There, another vent. ;)
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I've gotten most of my family over to Apple! (brother has an iBook, and my dad is still drooling over my PowerBook, I keep telling him to just get one with his EDU discount!)
    There's still a windoze behemoth to fix.
    I got to do a reformat of the HD 3 weeks ago.
    I've had to do reinstalls of XP so many times that I had to call the M$ evil lair... I mean HQ... to verify I wasn't pirating it.

Next time I have to call M$, they will get AN EARFUL!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.