Rap Genius Launches 'Genius' iOS App for Song Lyric Discovery

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rap Genius, the site that recently had a run-in with Google for its dubious SEO strategies, today launched an official Genius iOS app that allows users to access the site's archive of song lyrics.

The app includes access to annotated lyrics for millions of songs, and it also includes lyrical breakdowns and explanations that delve into the meaning behind phrases and words in music. Annotations found within the Genius app are designed to explain cryptic lines, reveal references and inside jokes, define unusual terms, and give context.

[​IMG]
    Genius also functions similarly to Shazam or Soundhound, identifying songs that are playing nearby. According to the app's description, it uses "Genius Recognition Technology" to listen to songs and provide lyrics for whatever's playing.
    Genius by Rap Genius can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rap Genius Launches 'Genius' iOS App for Song Lyric Discovery

2. macrumors G5

nagromme

Good ol' App Store discoverability. Direct link works, but a search for "genius by rap genius" comes up empty...

3. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That happens sometimes when an app is newly released. Should be searchable after a couple of hours though.

4. JAT
    macrumors 603

Very interesting. Soundhound seems to be getting fewer songs with available lyrics, rather than more.

5. macrumors 65816

djtech42

Yes! I have been waiting for this! It's awesome that they included music detection, too.

6. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Soundhoud and google are still my standbys.

7. macrumors regular

Keane16

Yep, now showing fine for me when searching 'Genius by Rap Genius'.

8. macrumors member

Requires 7.0 or later

Dag, I tried downloading, then see that it requires 7.0 or later. I have a 4S and still not sure about updating my ios just yet. Any 4S users here, how is the latest in ios working for you ?