Rap Hating = form of bigotry...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by princealfie, May 5, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

http://www.lowendmac.com/hodges/06/0505.html is the article in question. I was stunned to read this on the lowendmac list. Very insulting to African-American culture. I don't care much for most commercial rap but this guy hasn't listened to the underground stuff such as ATCQ or Pete Rock or Ugly Duckling (no cussing) or anything much true dat.

Apparently the writer must be baiting African-Americans... apparently must be asking for a critical beatdown (Ultramagnetic MC's)... Apparently I thought that the prejudice against rap music was done for but not the case...

In the words of Public Enemy's song "revolutionary generation":

It's just a matter of race
    Cause a black male's in their face
    Step back for the new jack swing
    On the platter scatter huh
    We got our own thing
    Just jam to let the rhyth run
    Day to day, America eats it's young
    And defeats our women
    There is a gap so wide we all can swim in
    Drown in (uh get down) an get it
    Got it goin' on wit it
    Sister (hey) soul sister
    We goin' be all right
    It takes a man to take a stand
    Understand it takes a
    Woman to make a stronger man
    (As we both get strong)
    They'll call me a crazy Asiatic
    While I'm singin' a song
    Oh my god, oh my lord

Word... life. I'm outty. :eek: :cool:

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

In the words of Samir:

Back up in your ass with the resurrection....

I don't like rap, but I do love Office Space...:p

4. seabass069 macrumors regular

Vanilla Ice!!!! Now that's rap.

All right stop collaborate and listen
    Ice is back with my brand new invention
    Something grabs a hold of me tightly
    Then I flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
    Will it ever stop? Yo - I don't know
    Turn off the lights and I'll glow
    To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
    Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Too cold..too cold...

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm sorry but you totally are missing his point. He did not say that all rap music was bad, and did not once mention African American culture. He said he did not like "the (c)rap music that everyone is listening to today." He not once said rap music was bad by nature or that it's impossible to have good rap music.

I'm in full agreement with him actually. The vast majority of rap music being played nowdays is unbelievably ******. Artists that have absolutely nothing to say and say way too much are everywhere. Artists like 50 cent... Artists like Chingy... They are all over the place.

I like rap music when it's done right and the artists actually say something - Lauryn Hill, Kanye West, etc - but the sad fact is that what you hear on the radio, for the most part, are artists that having nothing original or interesting to say.

And as for African American culture, I like it a lot, and I don't believe for a second that African American culture is all about ****ing hoes, 20 inch rims, violence, and misogyny. Your underground artists are not what I'm talking about. I'm pretty damn sure the writer of the article was not talking about these underground artists, either. He and myself are talking about all the 50 cents, all the Chingys, all the Nellys, Paul Walls, etc, etc, etc.

e

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What a weird article. I don't like to cry racism, but this guy certainly has a bug up his butt about something. I'd say he's just an out of touch curmudgeon, but he's 18, so maybe he's just a dork.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't like rap music but I'm not a racist. So where do I fit in?

9. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

With the rest of us sane people ;)

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think he's just bitter because he works at Mcdonalds.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He complains about having to hear the thump from cars playing rap music.

Clearly he's never been beside my car at a stoplight when When The Levee Breaks is playing on my iPod.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I liked Public Enemy and Grandmaster Flash. Run DMC and Beastie Boys were ok. But I guess I'm dating myself.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On a general level, I tend to agree with this assertion. That's all I'll add to this thread.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know i would side with Blue Velvet here

after all the same stuff is annoying me here and most people aren't african-american

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont like rap either but calling it Music is kind of a stretch isnt it.

16. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The vast majority of people who buy rap music are white, not african-american, so insulting rap is hardly an attack on african-americans. It's all the suburban white kids who are drinking up mainstream rap like it's water in the desert.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A screwed up bunch no doubt, I guess all the good music has been written years ago. Give me some Dylan.:D

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The 'pop' music of any genre pretty well sucks. The 'underground' stuff is almost always where it's at.

Check out the Leftover Salmon version of that tune if you haven't already. Well worth the 99¢...

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why did a Mac website publish this?

My respect for lowendmac diminishes even more, and not because I agree or disagree with the sentiments, but because the opinions expressed have got nothing whatsoever to do with the Mac.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

What is his assertion?

Is it:

such that rap is the downfall of our civilization, etc.;

or is it:

such that, good thing the music of american minorities can be used as a repellent against other brown people;

or is it:

such that "I'm annoyed that everyone seems to listen to music I don't like."

or is it:

such that my opinion is just my opinion and i hope people who listen to "that music" won't actually try to talk to me ...

I guess, ultimately, his point is:

though that sounds dangerously like:

"We need to round up everyone who dislikes rap and do something about these 'people' and their 'music' ..."

So it goes with 18 year olds who haven't yet had a chance to examine themsselves or their worlds ...

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the difference between what your describing and what the OP sees is like the difference between not believing in God and being an atheist. The latter implies a belief in that position as being somehow better than other positions.

The problem isn't people who don't like hip-hop. There's lots of music *I* don't like. I don't like any composers from the Classical era. Love my Baroque and before, love my Romantic, love my Modern, and beyond. But I really don't much care for the Classical era. But it doesn't bother me that other people like it.

Religion has hurt me more than it helps me. But I respect that other people find value in it.

So if you don't like hip-hop, but you don't care that other people do, if you're not out on a mission to "demonstrate" to people that hip-hop isn't music or is somehow objectively inferior to other tastes, then I think you're not part of the problem. You just have your own tastes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, some people hate things about the culture because they *love* the culture.

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ditto, we're talking about an 18 year old here who works (c)rap (sorry I couldn't resist) jobs and doesn't like rap music. Heck I agree with most of what he said about be bombarded with it all day, the fact is main stream rap is horrible. I'm listen to mostly rock & metal, but put on a Jurassic 5 or K-Os album and I'm down, heck last weekend I went to 2 swollen members shows.

It's just about avoiding the radio at all cost IMO. Since I stopped listening to the radio at all (about 2 years now) I've noticed I no longer have a hate on for popular music, mostly because I honestly have no idea what's popular anymore.

23. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

I've found Van Halen's "Unchained" or "Hot For Teacher" to have a similar effect. :D

But, I'll agree with the general sentiment that today's "Pop" music has to be some of the worst "pop" music in many, many years. Everything from the homogenization (sp?) and syndication of radio across multiple markets to the acceptance of hateful and angry rap music as "mainstream" turned me off to radio.

I'm reminded of an interview many years ago with Eddie Van Halen in "Rolling Stone" magazine. The reporter asked why he wasn't more like U2's Bono in wiriting songs about problems in society. Eddie replied that there's nothing wrong with what Bono does but unless Bono offered solutions to those problems it was a waste of time to write about them.

And as far as rap hating being a form of bigotry, I call BS on that one. That's like saying people who hate "classic rock" hate white people. Doesn't make any sense at all. Personally, I'm not a fan of rap but if someone wants to listen to it, knock yourself out.

24. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Oh, and one more thing that I just remembered. Anyone in their early- to mid-30s or older probably remembers the big arena or stadium rock shows that used to be the highlights of our summers. 50,000 kids all enjoying a great show with cheap tickets and lots of fun. Sure, we drank a LOT at those shows and had a lot of fun, but everyone was there to watch a great show by their favorite rock bands.

We just had a hip-hop/rap show in town a few nights ago and afterwards two people were shot outside. While I may be treading on the edge of generalization, my point is that today's hip-hop/rap shows promote an environment of hate, confrontation and anger, thereby perpetuating many of the stereotypes about the people attending those shows.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can't really tell. His essay is rambling, unfocused and poorly written. He lacks a clear central thesis. He exhibits an 8th grade style and vocabulary.

In short, he's like 75%+ of high school graduates in that he cannot write for ****.

A generous high school instructor would have given this piece a C, and any self-respecting editor would have laughed at such dribble and put it where it belongs – in the circular file – and not on their webpage.