Rapid Weaver

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Jan 1, 2006.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    The last few days I've noticed some discussion about Rapid Weaver. I don't know how long it's been around, but it looks like a nice little tool. I am sure that there can be arguments against it for it being a canned website and such, but looking at the site it looks like it's super easy to update and such. I want a new design, but I lack the necessary time to get going on it so I was curious to hear other people's thoughts on it.

What characterists do the sites that use it have that makes it look like a canned site? Is it so bad to have a canned site? Right now I use movable type for my blog which I love and have used for many years. For my gallery I use a php gallery called Gallery (original name eh). Combined I just make the rest of the site in html, easy for me. Now I was considering using word press because I liked the look, but I wondered if Word Press was just movable type's "user friendly" blog. I want something that doesn't require tons of updates since I don't blog much now a days, but I like to have it.

Anyway, I just liked the mac integration and since I am buying a sub to .mac (from someone here) I'd like to see what I can do with the two combined.

The biggest is RW is not free so I want to be sure before I spend even $35.
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    RapidWeaver does have a free trial. Check it out. I've used it. I'd recommend it for people who are computer knowledgeable, but not don't know how to make webpages other than using MS Word or something.

It is generally easy to spot a non-orgianl website. The biggest problem is that there are only so many themes/templates and only a handful of them are really nice. People tend to use the same good ones and avid internet users get sick of seeing the same theme over and over again.

If you are making sites primarily for you, your friends, and your family, I see no problem with using a program like RapidWeaver. Actually, I encourage it. If you are making sites for a business or something, then I'd stay away from programs like this. It is very unprofessional.
  3. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005

I use rapidweaver combined with Dreamweaver. I wanted the functionality of dreamweaver, but I needed a template to get me started, so I purchased rapidweaver.

I have a couple of frustrations. First, I loved the template that first came with my free trial, and created this website (www.hudsonhosni.com) for my new little nephew (it is forwarded to my .mac account). All I had to do to change the banner (header) was go into the back end (through the folders) and change the .png header file to one I created. Other than that, the template is the same. What you see was with the free demo. (which only allows you to have three pages) Notice on "Shower Pictures", how the pictures are laid out. That is the way rapidweaver lays them out for you.

When Hudson, my nephew, was born, I purchased the full rapidweaver suite for $35.00, only to learn that my template is now not supported or included, which means I have to redo the website. This would not be a problem if I liked any of the other templates they have.

The other problem is that when I exported the new site that I created in rapid weaver to go into the folder and change the header, I can't change it, so I am stuck with Rapidweaver's template header for now.

I will have to export the new site into dreamweaver and learn how to manipulate the code to get my custom header (the pic of the ranch) in there.

So although I am a little frustrated, I am asking the software to do something it was not made to do. For what it is, and for the $35, I would say it is worth it, because I know nothing about web design and was able to make a small website.

They also have a decent forum for help, and the new templates are customizable with different colors, etc.

Hope this helps some.

4. Arnie macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2006
    Rapid Weaver

I have been using Rapid Weaver for a few months now and really like using it. There have been some problems that apparently have been worked out. Had a very difficult time opening up the site that I was building, and have had the program crash a few times, but all in all, I think that it is worth the money. I did also buy a few themes from other developers. The headers on most can be customised to make them even more individualized. An example of two sites that I have built are:
    1st Rifle Scopes.com and Freshen Bad Breath.com

5. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I needed a web page and RW suited my needs perfectly. I had very little idea of how to make a webpage, but RW made it really easy.
    It work great most of the time, but I have had some problems uploading movies to the Showreel section of my page.
    I think it really is worth it´s price and recommend it.
    Page in my sig is made using RW