Raptor Drive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iGary, Aug 7, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

You told me so....

Seems as if my bottleneck when running batch actions come right at the save command in the action.

Question is, will I see a significant increase in speed if I use the Raptor as my scratch disc? I mean significant?

Anyone using Photoshop for 200-300 image batches using the Raptor?

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

i'm not using photoshop on mine,but they are very loud, and by that i mean significantly louder than P4 fans, they are quick though especially in a raid 0 ;)

3. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

completely disagree

I have two raptors, both of which are no louder than a stock 160 GB Seagate 7200.7 nor 2-400 Seagate 7200.8.

You may have had a bad raptor...

4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

must have it is stored locked in place with rubber grommets so it is not vibration that is the cause? Anyone else have a loud raptor, sorry to hijacK

5. drison macrumors regular

drison

I can't hear mine, but I'm sitting next to the air blower in the basement. :D
    -Dave

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OK, but is it worth me giving up a slot of storage just for a Photoshop scratch disc?

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I think so, since your sig says you have a 1TB Lacie Drive. I also have a raptor drive but I use it for my system drive for faster boots and quick response. It also has increased the speed of responsiveness to my pro apps. By the way, mine is very quiet even when using Final Cut Pro and Motion - not bad for page in/outs.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I think you'll see an improvement in performance. They are great drives. I've got 2 of them built up into a raid 0 setup and they fly. Plus like others have said, mine are very quiet, no louder then my maxtors in my other comp.

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Thanks!

I only use the Lacie for Backup of all these images, not for editing.

10. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Didn't Barefeats find that the new Maxtor DiamondMax line outperformed the Raptors (and stored an extra 227GB)?

11. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

They do in certain situations. I have both and the Raptor works better for random reads because of the faster seek times. I use the Raptor as the boot drive and scratch drive, and it works great. I saw a significant speed boost when the drive was added.

12. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I know that the mod for extra drive space are expensive, but in your situation, why not pick one up. It seems like you need a fast hard drive setup, and this is the best way. I know other people on this forum aren't wild about these mods, because of heat concerns, but research has shown that the computer don't run significantly hotter. I've decided on getting the Swift Data 200, which was reviewed by Barefeats, here.. I like that one becuase it looks the studiest of all the ones I've seen, and it is also made by a reputable company. If you got that, you could get a Raptor scratch disk, and not have to sacrifice one of your 250 gig hard drives (Or what ever they are in the future)

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We've covered this before in previous threads, and if I can paraphrase BlueVelvet, she said that Raptor boot/scratch drives in her studio made a significant difference to Photoshop, so they installed them all around.

If you don't want to give up a bay, and you don't want to go through the Firewire bottleneck, you can consider external SATA solutions

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1en2/
    http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1ve2plus2/

That is comparable in price to a internal cage and SATA card. With a rig like that, I would use a Raptor internally for boot, a Barracuda or a DiamondMax10/Maxline drive internally for applications, and one or two similar drives for live data in the SATA enclosure. You can run singly or as a RAID 0 if you wish. (Although I don't like the risk of a striped RAID.)

The removeable drive bays means you can expand storage simply by buying additional SATA drives and the sleds to bolt them to.

The other key to speed is that you are adding an extra SATA controller, which increases the bandwidth, as you are not pushing all the data through one controller. The card is PCI-X for the highest attainable throughput.