rar unpacker with decent gui?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sic, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

hey, until recently i've been happy with rar archivers unpacking completely when they're opened, but is there anything on mac that can show me the contents of an archive so that i can select what i want to extract rather than extract all of it? (a la winRAR on Windoze)

cheers in advance :)

2. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

3. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

What's wrong with Stuffit? I've never had a problem with it...

5. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

6. Millwood macrumors regular

I have Unarchiver. Half the time it tells me it can't uncompress the rar files and I use stuffit anyway. Stuffit always does the job for me, I can't say the same about the Unarchiver.

7. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

UnrarX 2.2 does the best job I have seen and used otthers.

8. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I like SimplyRAR- does the job well.
    But I also have Stuffit Expander and the Unarchiver installed.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I use UnRarX and MacSFV (to verify the files have been downloaded correctly) great apps.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

There is no general "browse archive before extracting files" functionality in any of the archive utilities I've tried.

However, with images, you can use an image viewing application to browse the images within without extracting the archive. I use FFView for this purpose.

I actually prefer the behavior of Mac OS X regarding archives, because if I don't like/need what's inside an archive, I'll just trash it. If I do like it, I will keep it in uncompressed form. Compression saves you megabytes at best. Video and audio, which take up the majority of space inside my computer, don't really benefit from additional compression. Image archives can be dealt with using FFView, so it's even less of an issue for me.

11. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

SimplyRAR lets you see what's contained within an archive before you extract, but I don't think there is an option to just extract certain files within an archive.

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Is it still available? I saw a "not distributed due to trademark infringement" on MacUpdate ... didn't download when I tried VersionTracker with a "page not found", and I didn't bother to look after that.