Rarest Mac in the world

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Baseline, Apr 15, 2002.

1. sevag1 macrumors member

cool. That super computer in the last pic of that page is sweet..

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Rarest Mac in the world

very interesting indeed... i saw the name of the thread and thought "oh someone found the MacTV or some limited export unit" but this surpasses that by far. Interesting that the Woz II was mentioned, i have one of these somewhere, i wonder if they're actually worth anything? i snagged it for $20 'cause i thought it was cool... have all the original documentation still shrinkwrapped, but not the software... any one wanna buy? hehe...

:)
    pnw

3. Tommy! macrumors regular

that is the illest (ist?) computer ever son! Did the CIA used to use macs as their primary computer? Do they still now if at all? I wonder.. :)

I also wonder what modern-day computer computer has the equivelant processing power as the one they showed that was used for the cold war (if any)

tom

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's freakin' awesome! :eek: iWant one! I'll never pass by another SE/30 without double checking. :D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that cray is cool...such a huge piece of history!! :p

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

not sure what computer you're talking about, but the sad thing is, the computer you're using is probably ten times as powerful. I remember using an nCube2 for research projects a few years back, it belonged to the Dept. of Energy, and the (aging) iMac I'm using now is certainly faster and more powerful...

pnw

8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

2 words! REALLY COOL!
    Its like those computers that Apple made for the military.(I think)

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Re: Rarest Mac in the world

The IIgs Woz edition sells all the time on eBay for less than $20. The first 10,000 IIgs produced bore his signature, but this was not really a "limited edition" machine. The boot ROM is version 00 which is not desirable but can be upgraded via patches. The later edition machines are worth more— especially the ones with accessories (HD, expansions cards, extra RAM, etc.). For this machine to be worth more than $20 you would have to have something unique. Even a good machine wouldn't be more than $100.

The IIgs with ROM 04 codenamed "Mark Twain" is up there with the rarest Apples ever made. It featured an internal HD and 3.5" floppy with only 25 of these ever being made.

http://www.lovecraft.demon.co.uk/retrotech/appleretro/apl2gsind.html

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Re: Re: Re: Rarest Mac in the world

That's kind of what i thought... at the time, the system could go for as much as $50 on ebay, and i figured, with shrinkwrapped manuals why not. too bad the price has come down :(

i think the monitor has component input, so you can hook it up to a VCR :) i used to make real cheap entertainment systems that way... snap a couple of speakers on, and you're ready to go. they have surprising video quality... great for video dubbing setups, when you don't wanna buy TVs...

:)
    pnw