Rather significant mistake on Apple's site.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Nov 11, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

In Apple's "Get a Mac" campaign, there is a rather large mistake in Reason #4 that I think Apple should be aware of, but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

The error is found here.

The idea of this statement is to show that there is not much talk of viruses in Apple's world, whereas in the world of Microsoft, it is obnoxiously common. This point is very true, however the way Apple chose to display it to it's potential newcomers is flawed. If you click each of the links above, you'll see that the Apple search for the word "virus" yielded about 112 results (I say "about" because it keeps fluctuating between 107 and 112), whereas Microsoft's search yielded a mere 58 results.

Now, I am fully aware of the fact that anyone with enough sense to read the information beyond the resulted articles on both companies' sites, they would see that the difference in the nature of the articles clearly makes the Windows OS look bad in the way Apple had intended it to.

I am simply pointing out Apple's mistake in suggesting the reader "compare the number of results" at each site. I think it's somewhat vital to the success of the "Get a Mac" campaign that Apple does a better job of portraying the difference between the Mac and Windows worlds as far as security goes.

What do you guys think?

P.S. If anyone reports this to Apple before I do and receives any kind of gift reward in return, it's so mine and I will hunt you down. ;)

No, seriously. :mad:

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, that's definitely not a clever marketing strategy. Don't people think about this sort of stuff before sending it out to the masses?

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I don't know. They still haven't fixed the typo I found on their Cinema Display page at the Apple store.

"...8 millions pixels..."

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I didn't find that particular quote, but was it referencing two 30" screens? One 30" is just over 4 million, so two would make 8 million (duh).

I agree with the virus references though. It's misleading in a way. Hopefully people will research into a little bit.

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

This mistake isn't very important, but the error is simply typographical. The word "millions" should not be plural. It simply doesn't make sense.

Anyways, does anyone know the best way to email Apple about this? I can't seem to find any email address to contact them.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Now I know why I'm not good at editing my school papers :). I didn't even catch the "millions" part.

7. stevehp macrumors 6502

the typo is 8 millions pixels

8. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I don't think that the number of results has anything to do with the severity of the virus. if 100 people talked about peanuts, and 1 person talked about the war - that doesn't mean that peanuts are more important or more dangerous.

although it might be a little misleading, i think it's within their rights to make such claims.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But that's exactly what Apple is trying to do...they're claiming that the number of results is indicative of the problem.

And then it comes back and slaps them in the face when Apple's site has more references to "virus" than Microsoft's.

Really, really dumb on Apple's part...

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah but apple is implying that the less results that you would get from searching "virus' on each companies respective website would mean that viruses are not as big of a problem for the company that returns less results, so in this case they are incorrect.

EDIT: Bugga, i should really learn to type quicker:p

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Look on google. Type in mac virus and it shows 62,000,000 results and microsoft virus shows 152,000,000.

12. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Of course.

There are lots of things Apple could do to fix this error and prove what is obvious to us to those who aren't so enlightened. The basis for their claim is definitely valid, but they did a poor job of getting the point across, IMO. This is why I'm trying to point it out to them.

13. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

What the hell?

Check those links again, people. The number of results on MS's page has suddenly changed significantly, as noted in this email reply from Philip Schiller:

How could this have happened? I am not the only one who saw 58 yesterday, am I? I do see ~63,000 results today...

14. imacintel macrumors 68000

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No, you are right. I remember following that link yesterday and saw only 58.

16. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Did you happen to check it out yesterday, though? What could have caused this massive change in results?

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not losing it. Not yet, anyways...

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Microsoft's search sucks?

For example when the released WMP 11 Beta, I searched their site to find a link to download it, no sensible links inside the top 10 (even WMP 9 for Mac made it :rolleyes: .)

18. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The only thing I can think of is that you/we happened to follow that link just when MS was doing web/database maintenance or something and it was hiding most of the results.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just tried it and it also generated 60k+ results at MS.... I dunno!

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Um...wow. I definitely saw it when it was only 58 on the Microsoft site...several times.

Amazing.

21. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You know Phil's email? I know Steves, but 'he' doesnt reply-he gets little slave monkeys to do it for him (OK, Execs but they're the same thing :D)!

22. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, me and Phil are like this --> *crosses fingers to show closeness*.

Just kidding, I never emailed him, actually. I emailed Apple support and he happened to reply back to me...

...so, now I have his email address. *evil laugh*

;)

23. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Not nearly as bad as.. APPLE claiming for the past 2 weeks that.... MBP 17 inch will ship in 7-10 days.. That's just a plain ***** lie.. especially since I ordered ONE.... and on my invoice it clearly states that it won't ship for 10-18 days.... LIEs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iloveyou

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Strange, when I searched virus on Microsoft I got 67,913 results :confused:

That's more like it ;)