Ratio of Macs to PCs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dbirider, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dbirider macrumors member

I'm writing an article and knowing the current ratio of Mac users to PC users would be helpful. I tried searching but I couldn't find any good information on this. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well i take it you mean windows users ? or do you mean Linux or many other OS's

market share will tell you this what we are on now ? 6% market share for the Mac so there you go 3 in every 50 are Macs

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here's an article from October saying 4.3% US market share for Apple, but I think that's just sales from that quarter. I don't know about total installed base, which would be affected by long-term market share trends as well as replacement cycles. Or worldwide numbers.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There's no real way of knowing...the only real way to do it would be to do a random sample of people around the country/world and ask them if they had a computer, and, if so, what OS it ran.

You could also get a decent idea of who is using what by taking an average of proportions from the logs of a few hugely popular websites, say, Google, Yahoo, and ESPN. This would be biased, however, as it would leave out computers not hooked up to the internet.

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

Market share is the last numbers you want to go off of. They only tell you what percentage of new computers were Macs verses other platforms.

So why is this a bad indicator? I haven't bought a new Mac since October 2000. That means that the last time I was counted in market share was in that quarter of 2000.

Mac users tend to buy new Macs on average about once every three years. PC users have been buying new systems at under 18 months for quite some time, and some are replacing their systems every 12 months (rather than take the time to keep them clean).

If PC users are buying new systems at two to three times the rate of Mac users, then market share is completely skewed in favor of PCs.

The last reliable figures I saw was from a few years ago and had Mac users at about 13% in the US. There were reports that this had jumped to 16-17% within the last year, but I wasn't able to follow up on that data to see where those figures came from.

The thing is, a lot of Macs stay in use years after PCs of the same period have been added to landfills. Those active older Macs (and their users) will never show up in any market share numbers.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, a very large UK website that I have stats for gets Windows at 98.19% and Macintosh at 1.47%.

That figure alone means nothing, but if anyone else with access to large websites could post their numbers then you might be able to average it out?

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I thought the iWork replacing Corel Office as the 2nd biggest Office Suite marketshare was impressive. I bet products like Dreamweaver and Photoshop are much higher than 6% Mac in revenues even when not every Mac user buys a copy of those products or have any need for them. Web logs probably show a higher percentage of Mac web users than 6%. Go to any coffee shop or college and see a higher Mac ratio.

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

That would assume that people don't set their browsers to spoof other platforms. Because some web designers make their sites only accessible to IE or Windows, spoofing either or both of those while using Macs or Linux has become very common.

9. Timepass macrumors 65816

the best number I think to go off of is browser staticts that about 2 or so years ago put apple well under 5%.

the states record browser and OS.
    That being said computer now days are lasting 4-5 years (both PC and mac) in more resent times I have seen them being replace at the same rate. My parents PC is was bought in year 2000 and it not getting replaced until at Vista comes out (they are not going to go mac. My dad set on that and there is software he uses that is only out for windows, (in house company software)). My grandads last pc when over 6 years. I on the other had only give my computer a 3-4 year before I upgrade them. I have a friend who replaces his it seems every 12 months. Seen mac users do that same.

The useable lifespan of computers is about the same both ways.

Either way best place for you numbers is internat statics that show what the OS are. be the best number you will get

RacerX face the facts macs are a very small market share. Linux is even less. And in the UK macs are even smaller than in the US and in the US it pretty small. The browser facting is a relitvily small % (I am thinking at most 10%)

10. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

When you think about how many computers are out there, anything over 2% of that number makes ALOT of macintosh computers. The macintosh community is quite large when you think about it.

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

Facts are facts. And the fact of the matter is that Macs aren't small enough for me.

But you sound like you assume I want/need/hope for Macs to have a larger market share... that would be a mistake. I tend to like my platforms to have few users. Mac OS X was more enjoyable to me when few people used it, the fact that few people use OPENSTEP is one of the things that draws me to it, the fact that few people use IRIX is one of the things that draws me to that... and the fact that I'm pretty much alone in using Rhapsody makes it my favorite platform.

I only suggest doing the research to see what you come up with. More importantly, do the research without looking to find the answer you want. I personally like small numbers, but I am unwilling to close my eyes to facts.

I've faced facts, you should to. The facts that I'm working from run counter to my motivations and desires. A few years ago I was interested enough to research an answer, are you willing to do the same now?

:rolleyes:

Personally... Macs have too big a market share for me. Beyond that I don't really care.