Rattle in a new iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Yoyodyne, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Yoyodyne macrumors member

I've had my 14" for about a month now and just as I was going to put it into my Booq sleeve I heard a rattle. :mad: If I hold the iBook by both sides and tilt it back and forth I can hear a small piece rattling back and forth. My guess is that it's a screw that some machine or assembly-line crack-head didn't tighten enough.

Giving that this damn thing has a hundred or so screws I'm debating whether to call AppleCare. The nearest store is an hour and a half away. I bought this thing to do on-the-fly work at campus, and right now is a really bad time to send it in just for someone to crowbar my new iBook open, just to tighten a screw back in.

I haven't taken it apart myself, so I know it's a QC issue. Everything is working properly for the moment, so most likely I could let that screw roll forever.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be a bug. :p

But seriously, I'd get it looked at because you don't want anything loose in there. It may short-circuit your new iBook. :(

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

If you got sometimes on a weekend, take that damn thing to the nearest Apple Store and have the genius's take a look at it. Because... you really don't want to send it in if you need to use it and depend on it for work.

Hope that helps :)

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

No, it won't help, because you didn't say anything helpful. Stop spamming. Sorry, but it gets quite annoying. :D :) :p

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Damn, jump down his throat.

He was suggesting taking it in as opposed to sending it in so that Yoyodyne would not be without his iBook for so long.

Sounds helpful to me.

Oh, and spamming? What the hell are you talking about?

Sorry, mean people get quite annoying. :rolleyes:

<cue flaming of ohcrap> :D

6. paperinacup macrumors 6502

I would have to agree.

7. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I second this quote.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

That would like me suggesting that you shouldn't drive a car with your eyes closed. Helpful?

Yes, I'm done. :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Friends, Romans and Hypocrites, let's all just play along nicely. :)

As I said earlier, Yoyodyne should get it fixed sooner rather than later since a loose screw will never do any good, but could do a lot of harm if it either electrically (as I mentioned before) or physically messes with the iBook, which is more likely than I think Yoyodyne realises.

10. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

That would also be helpful, if you had asked the right question.

The direct response that was given by lilstewart92 was:

...I bought the thing for campus, now is a bad time to send it in....

...take it to the nearest Apple Store, that's the fastest way to get it fixed...

Yes, very obvious, but obviously very helpful. :cool:

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmm. Sorry I don't feel like arguing, but this could be fun.

Last comment, because I agree with mad jew that we should get along:

He already mentioned the possibility of either bring it in or calling Apple in the original post. Therefore, he knows all about this, and knows it will be faster to bring it in. Suggesting the obvious in every thread is a great way to get to 500 posts for an avatar, but it's not a great way to help people out.

</itasor>

12. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aw man, I love arguing!!! hehe

My basic point, as I already stated, was just that yes what he said was obvious, but regardless of whether or not the original poster knew what was best, it might be helpful for him to hear the others share that opinion.

Makes sense to me. :)

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think I'm starting to see your point. About how fun arguing is, of course! Ahh this is done, let's be quiet now. :eek:

14. Man In Black macrumors member

You could have Apple take a look at it, if you want to, either by sending it in or taking it to a Apple store.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's classic! :D

Thank you for a great afternoon's entertainment people.

16. Yoyodyne thread starter macrumors member

The issue is that I'm at the start of a semester, and taking a 3-hour round- trip drive, just to hear a Genius say, "Yep that's a screw," will infuriate me. I think I might call the store first and make sure they are willing to take care of the problem when I get there, otherwise I'll have to ship it off.

Can you get a Genius on the phone, or do the retail clerkizoids say you have to call AppleCare first?

Oh, I agree that spamming is a lame way to get an avatar. :rolleyes:

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The problem is Yoyodyne, that if the screw bumps into something inside the iBook, it may do some serious damage. I'd recommend getting it fixed as soon as you can. It's not a problem I'd just "learn to live with". :)

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly, get it fixed ASAP, could cause problems with the fan, hard drive, knock something else loose.... could make a lot more go south fast. i would send it in the first chance you could get, and expect about a week without it thats the usual turn around time.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would take it in. Shipping things off always makes me nervous because I never know if it is going to get lost, stolen, bumped, banged, dropped, etc.
    One weekend when you don't have anything else impostant going on just make the 3 hour trip, that way it never has to leave your hands. But it is a good idea to call first, ask them about it, so your trip isn't a waste. And do it soon!

But either way, get it fixed, that screw could hurt something, or worse, it may not be a scew at all, but rather something more important (there are a lot of little things in there).

20. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

A lot of people seem to be saying you can just go to the genius bar and have them look at your iBook and fix it.

I don't see that happening. My experience is that there is no way they're going to unscrew your system and go looking for some loose part. I'm fairly certain they're going to send it straight back to Apple for that.

Now, maybe I'm wrong. But I would strongly suggest giving them a call and asking if they'll open it up and tighten the screw for you before you travel a long way to find out it's getting shipped back to Apple anyways.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly, this is why i would just send it out in the first place. save yourself a trip

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It never hurts to call, just ask 'em what they'll do. But either way, get it fixed.

23. Yoyodyne thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to call Applecare for a box. I work the weekends, so the drive would be a hassle, not to mention gas prices.

I'll let you guys know how Apple handled my loose component.

24. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Get that iBook looked at a screw falling in the wrong place could fry your book! :eek:

25. Yoyodyne thread starter macrumors member

Okay, to make a long story short, Apple replaced my iBook ;) . As much as I love OS X, I'm really hesitant in recommending Apple to my friends after my experience. Their quality control and customer service is lacking compared to other manufacturers. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I've had experience with HP, Dell, and “the company formerly known as IBM”, and I have had more problems with my month-old iBook than any of the former mentioned—put together.

I am not totally complaining--even though I lost a week of portable productivity, wasted some major gas-money, and time, I did get the gimpy thing replaced. But, this was with only endurance and persuasion that your average computer buyer does not have. I guess the reason I’m still whining is that my replacement even has flaws that shouldn’t pass quality control, but at this point all I care is that it is functional. It’s just sad that I was burnt on my first experience will Apple and it’ll always be in the back of my mind.