RAW and iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipoddin, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

So I sort of understand how iPhoto handles RAW. But I have a question.

I opened up a RAW image directly in photoshop cs, made my changes, and then saved it as a .jpeg in the same folder within iPhoto that the original RAW is stored. So in this folder I now have all my original RAW images and the edited .jpegs.

When I open up iPhoto, and browse to the roll in which the RAW images are stored, the newly edited .jpeg images do not show up. Digging in to the folders via the finder, I go in to my library>originals>folder where they're stored and I can see the .jpeg images with their RAW counterparts. But they still don't show up in iPhoto. If I try to import them in to the library, I get a message saying they couldn't be imported because their already in the iPhoto library. Ok, so why can't I see them???

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot import from within the iPhoto Library directory structure. Either save the files outside the root of the iPhoto Library or tell iPhoto not to managed the location of the files before import.

3. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Thanks, I discovered that as well. Seems like you cannot save as to the iPhoto library and have it show up in iPhoto. Better to save to a folder outside of iPhoto then drage the images in to iPhoto. Would be nice if iPhoto automatically recognized new images in the library folder and they showed up.