RAW with Canon 30D and Photoshop - help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John T, Oct 4, 2006.

1. John T macrumors 68020

John T

At the moment I am using Photoshop CS. I've recently upgraded to the Canon 30D. Lo and behold PS CS doesn't support RAW images from the 30D! I understand I should either upgrade to Photoshop CS2 or buy PS Elements. I don't want to lay out any more cash for the moment for CS2 and I've always looked on Elements as a bit of a "toy".

I'm sure others have had a similar problem - what did you do? Any suggestions??

2. Laser macrumors newbie

You could download Lightroom for now while it's still in free beta.

3. glennp macrumors member

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Didn't the 30D come with software for converting RAW files? Use that then import the TIFF files to CS.

I'm curious. I've been wanting to ask a CS user what is missing in elements that they would use. What features do you find lacking in Elements? Yes I know what's missing but I'm wondering which of them you miss.

5. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

Hi Chris,

Yes I've done that but as I am so used to working with the RAW converter in CS I believe the Canon DPP way was more cumbersome.

I must admit the last time I used Elements was version 2 on my old PC! However, from memory, Photoshop 6 (as it was in those days - all of 4 years ago!!!) just had so much more of everything. Having said that, I understand the Mac version is now 4.0 and has been improved somewhat.

John.

6. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Attached Files:

7. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Ahhh, just saw your on PS CS, not CS2..... There is basically nothing you can do about it, you need to upgrade to CS2 or Elements.

Your on a Mac right?

8. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

Of course - what else! :)

9. phuong macrumors 6502a

10. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, Photoshop CS2, but as I said, I have Photoshop CS :(

11. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Does it not come with Digital Photo Professional like the 20D did, as that handles Raw images.

12. John T thread starter macrumors 68020

John T

If you're referring to Elements, no it doesn't :(

13. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Download Adobe Lightroom for free... it's still in Beta, and probably will be for a little while. It's a great tool for editing and organizing, and you can still export to Photoshop to do heavier editing and retouching if need be.

In the meantime, get CS2. I know it's hard to justify the expense of Photoshop on the surface, but buy it once and upgrades are cheap from the on. But most importantly, CS2 is probably the biggest improvement from one version to another in a LONG time. It's support for RAW is fantastic, and it's far more stable and reliable than CS ever was. Plus, the photo filters and new sharpening tools are a life saver for digital work.

14. phuong macrumors 6502a