Ray Dolby, American audio pioneer, dies at 80

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Sep 12, 2013.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57602766/ray-dolby-american-audio-pioneer-dies-at-80

2. macrumors P6

Peace

Wow. What a guy he was.

Rest In Peace Ray.

3. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Indeed, he basically changed the way sound is heard.

4. macrumors 68030

bradl

And all this time, I thought it was Thomas Dolby (read: Blinded Me with Science) that brought us that advancement in sound.

RIP.

BL.

5. macrumors P6

Peace

Ya. It's a common mistake. Thomas uses Dolby as his stage names and was sued by Dolby labs.

After the release of "She Blinded Me With Science", Dolby Laboratories expressed concern regarding the musician's stage name. Dolby's record label refused to make him change his name, and Dolby Labs did not raise the issue again until later. After a lengthy legal battle, the court decided that Dolby Labs had no right to restrict the musician from using the name. It was agreed that the musician would not release any electronic equipment using the name.[6] (Coincidentally, inventor/founder Dr. Ray Dolby has a son named Thomas.)

6. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

7. macrumors 601

satcomer

That's to bad. He did more that anyone person in sound. Where are the so-called "audiophiles" about his death?

8. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Dolby's death is a sad event.

However, Edison (and others, I'm sure) made some small contributions to sound reproduction.

Also, just a suggestion...perhaps an obit thread is not the appropriate place for criticism of those who haven't posted. Express your feelings, and leave others to do what they wish.

9. macrumors 6502a

A great pioneer

I heard his death is going to be be marked by a minute's noise reduction.

10. macrumors 68020

12vElectronics

Sad to hear. The founder of BOSE recently passed away as well..

11. macrumors 604

gkarris

I found Dolby NR to seem to mute the highs and lows on tapes. I ended using Metal tapes instead of Normal and left it off.

Ah, the days of "mix tapes", or recording your CD/Album for your Walkman... :eek:

;)

12. macrumors 68030

bradl

Oh yes..

I still have at least 5 tapes I need to figure out how to convert to MP3 or something to import into iTunes. A lot of the tapes I've made have at least some sound bites from DJs on radio stations that no longer exist.

It's one thing to play the song, but it's another to capture bits from that time in the recording as well.

sorta like having the commercials in the shows you taped on VHS.

BL.

13. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Problem is .. "audiophiles" rarely use Dolby codecs unless they have to. Surround sound for home entertainment demands DTS or Dolby codecs (Digital, Digital Plus, or True HD up to 7.1)

But when it comes to music or any stereo reproduction, Dolby surround matrix (Pro Logic etc.) only make things worse.

14. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

He was the man. I followed him for decades.

15. macrumors 68030

G51989

He did lots in sound, Dolby Codecs are somewhat outdated, and he did conbriute a lot to sound, no audiophile is going to deny that, including me, he really helped push the Industry forward and will be missed. That's for sure.

The person audiophiles didn't care about is Dr. Bose. All he did was make overpriced junk that underperformed and looked kinda cool, thats why Audiophiles didn't care.

" No high's, no lows's, Must be bose! "