Rayman or Monkey ball for the Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AJ Muni, Nov 30, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Hey guys I'm in the mall right now and I want to buy a new game. I've narrowed it down to those 2 games. I have zelda and want something diff. I have never played either rayman or monkey but I'm looking for another fun game. Help me decide!

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Rayman is one of the funniest games ive played in a while. I would reccommend it over SMB any day :) check out the reviews on IGN, or other game sites :) Be prepared to laugh a lot, its more fun than i thought it would be :)

Ed

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Super Monkey Ball is for patient gamers only, well at least the later stages can require milimetric precision in the PS2 games, don't know if the Wii version is any easier.

I say Rayman though, even though I am getting Monkey Ball.

5. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Ok rayman it is. Now I just gotta wait for the gf to finish shopping.I just got told off for being "impatient"... Am I the only one who HATES going to the mall with women?

6. afornander macrumors 6502

Rayman, personaly, u should get call of duty 3

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hell no!

8. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Rayman hands down, I own it, swear by it, Monkey ball, meh its not so good :p

Plungers + Rabbids = Love.

9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Wow, SMB must really not be that great... this isn't the first time I have read negative thoughts about the game. You'd think it is the perfect type of game for the Wii. I would get it when I get a Wii, but Rayman does seem to be much better (from what I've seen).

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Its not that its a bad game, in fact its pretty fun its just that it gets pretty hard and frustrating on some of the later stages and personally I think the Wiimote control is a gamble, its a great game, if you are unsure you can play Neverball for the PC, if you enjoy that, you'll enjoy SMB a lot more since it has more charm, more levels and the overall quality is better.

http://icculus.org/neverball/

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

SMB on the Wii for the most part has some fun mini games, but others feel like they were rushed. The Wii's controller is heads and tails better than any thumb-analogue control setup for SMB as a whole, especially for the main game when tilting the world. On the other hand with some of the rushed mini games, you can tell that the developers were just slapping out new ways to play, but not spending the time to really hone the controls. The result is controlls that are way to senstive and really take some time to get used to. Games like Paper Sumo are tons of fun, but you really have to be precise with how you hold the Wii-mote. Something I don't understand, is why it makes me calibrate the Wii-mote for shooting type games every time. Zelda doesn't require this sort of thing at all.

Another thing that really bugged me, was that it made me watch what felt like 10 minutes of credits after I finished the first world, which only took a few minutes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would't pay full price for SMB Wii unless you want a group game to play now. I'm considering Rayman at the moment and feel it would've been a better purchase. If SMB had more gliding games, I would've been happier with it. It only has one that I know of. SMB2 on the GC has several, so this was a disappointment. The only thing that saved it, is that the Wii-mote is a way better control setup for this type of game.

<]=)

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I haven't played Rayman, but SMB is pretty good. Especially if you're interested in the multiplayer mini-games, which are supposedly a little better than the ones Rayman offers. Several have severe control flaws, which isn't a problem with the Rayman minis, but there are at least 30 of the 50 that are worth playing many times. About 10 of those are hilarious/excellent. Spinning your controller wildly in the hammer toss is sure to have your friends cracking up.

The single-player game is frustrating. I'm on world 7, and sometimes replaying a stage through 50-60 lives before finally beating it. I've quit in anger several times.

Somehow SMB always beats out Rayman in the reviews, though. I wish I had both to compare.

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

From what I've heard the single player SMB is fine but the SMB multiplayer is not as good as compared to previous SMB games.

I have Rayman and without a doubt, it's a keeper for both single and multiplayer.

14. p0intblank macrumors 68030

For SMB, I've seen in videos that you hold the Wiimote like you're pointing it at the screen. Is it possible to play it horizontally, like in Excite Truck? It just seems like it would work better this way.

Also thanks for the impressions! It sounds like a game I'd pick up when it eventually hits the $20 (maybe $30) mark.

15. w00tmaster macrumors regular

For those of you that have monkey ball

how is monkey golf? I LOVED monkey golf in the first one, but they managed to destroy it in the 2nd game. How is it on the wii?

16. mcarvin macrumors regular

Right on!

My favorite minigames:
    - Rabbids singing "Hip Hop Hooray"
    - Cow tossing
    - Outhouse door slamming

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is really good so far too. Just rented it last night and the controls are, IMHO, nicely done. Dialogue ranks up there with the worst straight-to-video crap you've ever seen though.

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

how are you able to post while walking around the mall?! lol.. free wifi access? :cool:

18. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

The out house slamming is just not right on so many levels XD
    Let us not forget Super Bunny, he has a dream.. to fly :D

19. Archmagination macrumors regular

Super Bunny.. I have never laughed so hard playing a game in my life. He is always fun in the plunger levels too.. Soo funny.

My favorite game so far has to be the Soccer one.. Thats hilarious!!

20. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

While on the Rayman subject. Anybody know how I can succesfully pass the minigame where you have to listen to the pig in the Wiimote speaker to pass the minefield? I can't make sense of the screams. One try out of two, no sound even comes out of the remote. Must be a bug.

21. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Blackberry baby. Blackberry. :D