Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
does anyone know if aim on MOTO's RAZR drain the battery when it's on standby? is there any reason to not have the app running in the phone all the time?

r.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't know the answer to your question, but I was intrigued. Are you saying that the RAZR's camera is usable for iChat AV? Or did I totally miss the point?

Thanks!

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
oh no, though eventually i bet cam phones will be able to do this...

... razr's got an ichat application on it that you can log onto to have regular text chats. sounded silly to me at first but it's like having an ongoing tm with someone, and people can reach you either at your computer or when your away. i only have one person on aim i regularly chat to so it's no big deal.

r.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
whyrichard said:

... razr's got an ichat application on it that you can log onto to have regular text chats. sounded silly to me at first but it's like having an ongoing tm with someone, and people can reach you either at your computer or when your away. i only have one person on aim i regularly chat to so it's no big deal.

r.
Ive never used that function, can you tell me a bit about it (i have a v3 too)

How much does it cost? is it 10p a message? Will it be included in a contract>

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
V3 messaging

thefunky_monkey said:
Ive never used that function, can you tell me a bit about it (i have a v3 too)

How much does it cost? is it 10p a message? Will it be included in a contract>

I have a V3 on T-Mobile in the UK, im interested in this function working too - does it use the GPRS function? can you use your .mac username like we do with iChat and the AIM protocol?

FireArse

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have Verizon with a Motorola v265 and when I launch AIM, I can use a .mac name. Each message counts as a TXT Message. Meaning sending one is 10cents and receiving is 2 cents.

However, you can pay around $5 a month for 500 TXT messages or you can pay for unlimited or something.

I can't type more than one word a minute on a phone anyway, so what's the point?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
whyrichard said:

r.

Its just text messaging with a nicer interface. You get charged for signing on (2 texts out and 2 in I think).

Leaving it on in the background does not drain your battery.

And for reference, its AIM not iChat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.