RAZR, bluetooth, isync....?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Jun 13, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

I just got a motorola razr and discovered it doesn't sync through bluetooth using isync.

I know it can sync through usb, but I'm wondering if it bluetooth isyncing works using tiger osx 10.4...?

it would give me a good reason to run out and get it.

thanks.

r.

2. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

The RAZR definately syncs via BT in Tiger. However, I don't believe it works with AddressBook (i.e. showing incoming calls, SMS, etc.) without a hack.

3. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

micvog, you say that the Razr definitely syncs via Bluetooth in Tiger, but that is not the case. I have a Razr V3 from Cingluar. I can connect to it via Bluetooth with the Bluetooth File Exchange utility, but that only allows me to transfer files.

iSync (including v2.1) does not recognize the Razr for syncing via Bluetooth. It has to be connected via USB.

4. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I have used isync to sync my motorola razr, even the old version of isync

5. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I have a friend who bought a Razr phone through Cingular about 2-3 months ago and he syncs it with his Mac using Bluetooth (he is on Tiger). I just confirmed with him that it still works (although he has not updated to 10.4.2 as of yet).

There are also other threads with people mentioning that their Razr phone syncs with no problems.

If you provide your phone software/firmware version, I can compare it to my friends phone.

6. G-Prime macrumors member

I have the RAZR V3 that I just got a couple of weeks ago through Cingular and it syncs just fine for me through Bluetooth. Of course the first RAZR that I got had a faulty Bluetooth in it but since I got it replaced I have had no problems syncing.

7. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I upgraded Tiger to 10.4.2 last night and setup the phone again. Tiger recognized it as a mobile phone this time and iSync sees it via Bluetooth. All is working well. :D

8. scionfriar macrumors member

I've been thinking about getting a Razr. Does it sync your ical calendar and full address book through isync?

9. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Yes. In fact, I just got a calendar event notice on my phone a few minutes ago, so I know it is syncing the calendar. All of my contacts came over with no problems.

10. scionfriar macrumors member

Thanks much, Kerry. I appreciate it. :)

11. gnomic1 macrumors newbie

Ical not updating in isync with Razr

I just reformatted my hard drive, installed 10.4.2. and started clean. iSync is working with my Razr just fine for the address book, but it won't sync up the calendars in the Razr datebook and iCal, which it did perfectly before I redid the system software. Any suggestions?

12. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I synced my girlfriends Razr to my laptop - it didn't recognize it over bluetooth at first, so I tried syncing using the usb cable - this worked, and after that it saw it via BLUETOOTH.

13. gnomic1 macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! No, it is syncing with Bluetooth fine between the Address Book and the Razr's Datebook. It used to see iCal just fine, and sync, but now it's ignoring just the iCal bit. I have tried using .mac, but that's irrelevant to the phone. I can't figure out how to make iSync drag the iCal bit into it again, because it used to do it over Bluetooth fine.

14. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

the razr definately syncs with my ical and my address book (i don't allow the address book part so not to duplicate things). All I did was discover it with the bluetooth icon on the top right. Linked them up, then found isync, clicked add devices, it found the razr, choose my sync options and then synced it up. Do it every day probably 2 or 3 times a day. Works great.

15. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i just went through this with my girlfriends Razr.

yes the Razr V3 works with iSync and BlueTooth.

the only problem we had was that when we tried to sync, only contacts from AddressBook would merge with the phone. The contacts on the PHONE wouldnt download to AddressBook.

the problem was that the contacts on the phone were stored on the SIM card. i guess iSync cant read the SIM card. so we saved the contacts to the PHONE memory instead of the SIM card memory and that solved the problem.

syncing works fine now with the Razr, iSync and BlueTooth.

16. jdehnert macrumors newbie

Newer phones seem to work, but...

I just bough a Black Razr V3 and iSync over bluetooth works with that phone, however my co-worker has an older Razr he got about 8 months ago and his will NOT sync over bluetooth, but will over USB.

The big issue for me is integration with Address Book. I did find some info on the 'hack' but it was quite general in nature and didn't give me what I thought I needed to get my phone working with Address Book.

So, to turn this arround a bit, has anyone sucessfully hacked Address Book so that you can use the Razr with it?

Thanks,
    Zeke

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

one thing i notice while syncing with the razr is that if you have addresses on the phone and you want to sync them to your computer you need to have those addresses (phone numbers) saved to the PHONES memory and not the SIM card. apparently you cant sync to/from the SIM card.

to do this you need to copy all addresses from the SIM card to the PHONE...then sync.

18. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I seam to be having a problem syncing my iCal events. It appears as if it only will sync events if iCal is open while I run iSync. If it matters I'm using bluetooth to do this. It is not really a problem, but having to only open one program is better than having to open two.