Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
It did for me. With Verizon offering double the data for 4G LTE phones, it made little sense for me to go with the 4S over the Maxx. And with my town lit up with LTE, I didn't want to wait another year to use it. If nothing else, I locked in double the data for when/if I come back for an LTE iPhone. :)

I have the Galaxy Nexus on a double data plan, the freaking thing is screaming fast here in Boston.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Galaxy s2 is 9.99 on at&t

----------

Exactly. If the company is making 40% profit that means I am getting ripped off. They only sell well in the united states because the carriers subsidize them. They are getting fed up and I have a feeling they are gonna start kicking back at apple.

I'm still trying to find out if that profit margin is accurate. That is insane if it's true. I can understand selling a product for as much as you can but there something to be said about a company that doesn't blatantly rip you off.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
because when a company launches a new product that fails and they are losing money on it, they generally stop supporting it. If that device is a TV or something like that, no big deal. However, whenever it's a product that relies on updates to stay current, you have a problem.

Agreed. However a large portion of people's arguments why they should buy iPhones is b/c Apple sells more of them and is profitable. I, as a consumer, don't care how profitable Apple is at the moment. They made a product I liked so I bought it.
I know it's important to buy from a company that won't fold the moment you buy something and you'll be stuck w/ it, but it shouldn't hold such a high priority when people say 'this is why you need an iPhone.'

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
not surprising. iphone4 is old and outdated. newer phones are more advanced and there's really no technological difference btw IOS and android anymore (there was a hugh gap 3 year ago). people buying an iphone4 right now are either misinformed or want to be in the apple ecosystem.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
not surprising. iphone4 is old and outdated. newer phones are more advanced and there's really no technological difference btw IOS and android anymore (there was a hugh gap 3 year ago). people buying an iphone4 right now are either misinformed or want to be in the apple ecosystem.

GUI, touch response, inertial scrolling, and hardware hasn't caught up yet.

Other extra features of Android, consumers don't really use or need.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm still trying to find out if that profit margin is accurate. That is insane if it's true. I can understand selling a product for as much as you can but there something to be said about a company that doesn't blatantly rip you off.

If you take the time to Google "iphone profit margin", you'll see estimates from 60-75% gross margin, and 30-55% net.

One attempt at a detailed breakdown can be seen in this graph. It claims 58% gross and 51% operating margins.

The more conservative (and thus, possibly low) operating margin of 40% I spoke of is from my own calculations, taking into account the fact that Apple's reported iPhone revenues include high-profit accessories (a little noticed, but important, detail).

--

As a side note, Foxconn operating margin has dropped over the years since Apple has worked with them, to about 1.5%. Yes, one point five percent. Of course, over tens of millions of units, even that small amount adds up.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
GUI, touch response, inertial scrolling, and hardware hasn't caught up yet.

Other extra features of Android, consumers don't really use or need.

last time i checked, inertial scrolling is there. not sure what u mean about gui. the gui for ios hasnt' changed for years. not sure if you've tried out the latest android devices but they are pretty equal to me.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
last time i checked, inertial scrolling is there. not sure what u mean about gui. the gui for ios hasnt' changed for years. not sure if you've tried out the latest android devices but they are pretty equal to me.

Things are just about to get a lot better for the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.

I'm a lot more excited about this software coming to my phone then I am with iOS6 coming to my iPad. iOS is solid, but the look is getting old after all these years.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich/119251,en_US,pd.html

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
iOS is solid, but the look is getting old after all these years.

Compare Windows 95 to Windows 7.

Compare OSX Cheetah (2001) to OSX Lion (2011).

They are pretty much the same. There's a reason why OS UIs don't change too much.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Compare Windows 95 to Windows 7.

Compare OSX Cheetah (2001) to OSX Lion (2011).

They are pretty much the same. There's a reason why OS UIs don't change too much.

No I want them to change because my entertainment doesn't come from the content I browse using my phone, it comes from the home screen.

Why use apps and media browsers when I could fiddle around with an exciting and new home screen. I'm tired of the simplicity, I need something more elaborate and gimmicky.

Now that everything is organized on my phone there is nothing to customiz so I need an OS that will shake things up and I can organize all my stuff in a different way now.

Maybe that new Chevy Lumina phone...

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
No I want them to change because my entertainment doesn't come from the content I browse using my phone, it comes from the home screen.

Why use apps and media browsers when I could fiddle around with an exciting and new home screen. I'm tired of the simplicity, I need something more elaborate and gimmicky.

Now that everything is organized on my phone there is nothing to customiz so I need an OS that will shake things up and I can organize all my stuff in a different way now.

Maybe that new Chevy Lumina phone...

Sounds like you are getting tired of iOS. It's understandable since seeing the same thing day after day and year after year does get old. iOS is good, but it's dated. It's fine on my iPad, but it could be so much more on a tablet like the iPad especially with the extra screen real estate.

There is a difference between change for change sake and change that improves the software. I honestly believe that the overhaul that is Android 4.0 really does improve the software over 2.3. It's a lot more then just a different look. One of the big things that has been bragged about in iOS6 is the reflection of the slider changing as the device is moved. How exactly does that improve the software? Apple is just as guilty as the rest when it comes to adding eye candy.

At some point iOS will receive an overhaul. Will you feel the same about it as you do the Android overhaul? I doubt it. You will claim it's great and it's magical because it comes from Apple.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Sounds like you are getting tired of iOS. It's understandable since seeing the same thing day after day and year after year does get old. iOS is good, but it's dated. It's fine on my iPad, but it could be so much more on a tablet like the iPad especially with the extra screen real estate.

There is a difference between change for change sake and change that improves the software. I honestly believe that the overhaul that is Android 4.0 really does improve the software over 2.3. It's a lot more then just a different look. One of the big things that has been bragged about in iOS6 is the reflection of the slider changing as the device is moved. How exactly does that improve the software? Apple is just as guilty as the rest when it comes to adding eye candy.

At some point iOS will receive an overhaul. Will you feel the same about it as you do the Android overhaul? I doubt it. You will claim it's great and it's magical because it comes from Apple.

Maybe one day you will grasp the concept that simplicity is the height of professionalism and good design.

Google the term "minimalism" and start there.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Maybe one day you will grasp the concept that simplicity is the height of professionalism and good design.

Google the term "minimalism" and start there.

Just curious what college degree you hold? Are you a software engineer or some sort of a designer? I find pros and cons to both iOS and Android. I don't find either to be difficult to use or have poor UI. Android is more flexible and has more ability to customize, but it's user friendly. If you can't use an Android phone, chances are you can't use a Mac or a Windows PC.

Minimalism is fine until it begins to take features away that do improve your experience.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Just curious what college degree you hold? Are you a software engineer or some sort of a designer? I find pros and cons to both iOS and Android. I don't find either to be difficult to use or have poor UI. Android is more flexible and has more ability to customize, but it's user friendly. If you can't use an Android phone, chances are you can't use a Mac or a Windows PC.

Minimalism is fine until it begins to take features away that do improve your experience.

Business degree Arizona State University.

Own my own retail business.

You said you don't find either difficult, but I can assure you there is a perceptible difference between the two OS.

But my point is this:

Safari - and the whole totality and magnitude that the world wide web implies.
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
MyFitnessPal
All of YouTube
Vevo
Pandora
Netflix
Zynga Poker
Voxer
Music Player
Podcasts
Etc..
Etc..

HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THE HOME SCREEN AKA LAUNCHPAD??

I am usually too busy checking all my usual go-to places and consuming content to worry about the LAUNCHPAD of that content.

Do you have lots of friends? Do you keep in contact with people? Do you visit usual sites? Do you use apps? Play games?

There's a million things to do, and you're worried about the home screen talking about youre bored with your phone?

Download some quality apps because on iPhone there actually are a lot of them and there's unlimited things to keep you busy and from boredom.

Take up some new hobbies or interests sheesh.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I have the Galaxy Nexus on a double data plan, the freaking thing is screaming fast here in Boston.

I don't know? Hard to believe you're from Boston. You're post should have read...

"It's freackin WICKED fast heeeya in Beantown....

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
"Doradla says they don't believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a next-generation phone just yet, but that may change in the next few months"

That's a quote from the CNET article for those who didn't both to read.

It shows you that Mark Twain's quote about those who read the news are misinformed.

Consumers are holding off on the iphone purchase because:

1. They wanted to see what WWDC was all about
2. They know a new iPhone is coming in the new couple of months.
3. Those who wanted an iphone already got an iPhone 4/4s within the past 17months on Verizon already.

"average consumers" are average anymore. They ask us "techies" for advice. My advice to a co-worker who has Verizon means a lot more than the Verizon employee.

I am like Fox News with my Co-workers. I am "fair and balance" I tell my co-workers if they want a phone right now, I would get the Razr Maxx.

But if they insist on getting an iPhone like one of my co-workers who has a Droid Incredible 2. I tell her to wait for a few months (september/october) for LTE iphone and to avoid CDMA iPhone at this time.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic with saying fox news is a fair and balanced.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Please tell me you are being sarcastic with saying fox news is a fair and balanced.

If he's a conservative Republican, he doesn't feel he's being sarcastic at all.

Kind of like Sean Hannity; He's right, Republican's are great, and if you disagree you're a non-American, flag burning, ultra-Liberal.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Business degree Arizona State University.

Own my own retail business.

You said you don't find either difficult, but I can assure you there is a perceptible difference between the two OS.

But my point is this:

Safari - and the whole totality and magnitude that the world wide web implies.
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
MyFitnessPal
All of YouTube
Vevo
Pandora
Netflix
Zynga Poker
Voxer
Music Player
Podcasts
Etc..
Etc..

HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THE HOME SCREEN AKA LAUNCHPAD??

I am usually too busy checking all my usual go-to places and consuming content to worry about the LAUNCHPAD of that content.

Do you have lots of friends? Do you keep in contact with people? Do you visit usual sites? Do you use apps? Play games?

There's a million things to do, and you're worried about the home screen talking about youre bored with your phone?

Download some quality apps because on iPhone there actually are a lot of them and there's unlimited things to keep you busy and from boredom.

Take up some new hobbies or interests sheesh.

Own your own retail business? Are you as rude to your customers as you are to people with opposing views on here? Just curious. Also do you check your customers phones and only do business with people who carry iPhones? I understand you are in love with the iPhone and think it is 110% perfect, but you always seem to resort to some personal jabs in every reply to try and get a point across. Sheesh.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Own your own retail business? Are you as rude to your customers as you are to people with opposing views on here? Just curious. Also do you check your customers phones and only do business with people who carry iPhones? I understand you are in love with the iPhone and think it is 110% perfect, but you always seem to resort to some personal jabs in every reply to try and get a point across. Sheesh.

I'm sure you'll be fine... Its nothing personal.

Sometimes a debate is the best way to extrapolate information and get to the bottom of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.