RAZR software and txt msgs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mkrishnan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi, can anyone help me with hopefully a simple question about my RAZR V3 (T-Mobile)?

Annoyingly enough, it compartmentalizes memory :rolleyes: so that even though there is several megs available for pictures and ringtones, it's run out of space for text messages, contacts, and calendar entries. For contacts, I set up smart groups in Address Book and resolved that issue (I didn't really need them all in my phone) and for Calendar, I set it to sync only a couple of weeks surrounding the date of sync. But now, text messages...

The RAZR allows for auto-cleanup of the text inbox and outbox, though, with settings such as "keep only 20 messages" in the inbox and "keep only 5 messages" in the inbox." But instead, it just lets it fill up, gets 21 messages, and then changes the banner text to read "Messages Full" or something like that, without auto-deleting anything. And then I have to go do it myself.

Does this feature just not work correctly, or am I doing something wrong?

I'd appreciate help! :) I love the cuteness of my phone, and mostly I can live with the interface, but this is a little annoying....

2. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Ooh, I have an E398 and I never knew it had such a feature... but if you say it doesn't even work...

My problem though is that I don't like the memory cap on the phone. There's plenty of space in the damn thing since I save all of my pictures on a TransFlash miniSD card, so why can't I store more than about 100 messages? Is there a way to get rid of the cap?

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, well, at 100 you're ahead of me! :p But seriously, you *might* be able to modify the memory allocations with a hack... like something at motomodders.net ... but separately, I'm curious about how this feature is supposed to work without any hacks... :(

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oooh, I wanted to make two updates to this thread.

1) The clean after x days options do seem to work. Not ideal...this system was programmed by morons. :rolleyes: If you have memory that is devoted only to SMS, then it is not needed for anything else. And so there is no real reason to have any other deletion system except FIFO. At the very least, FIFO is certainly the one that should work without fail. And yet it doesn't. :(

2) Cleanup, as far as your SMS's go (and honestly, mine, too, I guess)...if you really want to keep them, BluePhone might be a good option. I don't know if you were familiar with this software, so I wanted to point it out to you. :)

5. TXWheelman macrumors newbie

AFAIK the RAZR saves text messages to the SIM, so it's limited to 30 messages in the inbox.

I think the auto cleanup is performed once a day, as opposed to when the mailbox is full. It's silly, but it made Motorola money so that's what counts in this country.

John

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To the SIM? That's so strange!