Razr v3 Went Through Wash! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aperture, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hi. I left my Verizon Razr in the pocket of my pants and they went throught the wash. I finally realized it and pulled it out of the dryer. The razr was in 3 pieces, the battery cover, battery, and main phone. Each part was steaming hot and the phone now has water under the front and main screen. Here is the catch, the phone was having problems as it is. I am just about to send it back to Verizon because they shipped me a replacement. This one I am talking about is the one I am sending back.. The water indicator on the battery and phone is bright red as opposed to white.:( What can I do to get the water out from the screen? What should I do? Do you think it is safe to try the battery on the replacement?

Kevin

Edit: I have each part sitting open and under a fan right now.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't have advice per se, but what is the "water indicator" that was white and is now red?

3. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

It is a little paper circle usually somewhere in the battery bay. It is normally white, it turns red when it touches water.

[​IMG]

^^Not my picture

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, so is your dilemma mostly that you'll get charged for sending back one that was abused?

5. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Well, that + the fact I dont even know if it is safe to use the battery in the replacement. (When the send replacements, they only give you the phone w/o battery or cover)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I actually think the battery is likely not to be dangerous to the phone when it's dried out, as long as there isn't any evidence of corrosion.... It might not work! :p But it's probably not going to fry the phone.

Thanks for explaining the water indicators. I had never really poked around in there.

7. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Sure. I tested the battery in my new phone, it works fine. However, the phone that went through the wash won't work. I am reading online to put it in the oven at 125*F for 5 hours.. but I am putting the phone in for but 1 hour. I am going to check on it every 15 minutes to make sure it isn't melting..:p

Can anyone verify this?

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Can you peel the water indicator off the new phone and apply it to the old phone so you won't get charged for sending a damaged phone?

I wouldn't try the old battery, I don't think new cell phone batteries are that expensive. Go to some website like shopcell.com or on ebay to find a new battery for your new phone.

9. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

As far as the indicator goes, I think I can peel it off and I am checking my older phones right now to see if I can "exchange" the indicators. ;)

PS: I already tried the battery, it works fine.. I am having trouble with the phone now.:mad: