Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Verizon phone would you buy?

• Motorola RAZR V3c

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Motorola RAZR V3m

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Motorola Q

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I have Verizon and I need a new phone. Just basically looking to see what other people think is best. Right now I have a Motorola v265 and it has served me well. I would like Bluetooth on my new phone, and would like it to be able to sync with the computer to add contacts. Windows or Mac is fine.

The V3c is $100, V3m is $150, and the Q is $200. This is with a 2 year contract from Verizon (renewing mine).

Which would you get?

No I don't want to switch to GSM, etc...I know they have better phones, but I like and need Verizon, which works a lot better over here. ;)

Thanks.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
It looks like for what you want to do, get the Q. It should last you a good while. But personally I like the V3i DG:D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
macsrockmysocks said:
It looks like for what you want to do, get the Q. It should last you a good while. But personally I like the V3i DG:D

Oh, if Verizon had the V3i, this thread wouldn't exist, and it would be in my pocket. ;) :D

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although I dig their physical styling, I really really really hate RAZR phones, or most Motorola phones for that matter. Two words: user interface. Ugly font, often ambiguous and strange menu structure, and horrible address book implementation. I suppose one can get use to it all, but what good is beautiful design if the operating system is not up to par? It would be like running Windows XP on MacBook! Fortunately, it looks like Moto is listening a bit. New RAZR V3x has much nicer looking menu (although usability is still not too good).

Although Q has much nicer looking user interface, it runs Windows... which means it won't sync easily with a Mac.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
nutmac said:
Although Q has much nicer looking user interface, it runs Windows... which means it won't sync easily with a Mac.

Yeah, that's OK though...I mean how often do you REALLY need to sync it...I sync mine like once a month at the most...I think I can boot the PC once a month to sync. :p

Still haven't decided. Maybe I'll just go with the regular V3c...it's $59 at BestBuy with a 2 year contract...that's not bad.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
nutmac said:
Although I dig their physical styling, I really really really hate RAZR phones, or most Motorola phones for that matter. Two words: user interface. Ugly font, often ambiguous and strange menu structure, and horrible address book implementation. I suppose one can get use to it all, but what good is beautiful design if the operating system is not up to par? It would be like running Windows XP on MacBook! Fortunately, it looks like Moto is listening a bit. New RAZR V3x has much nicer looking menu (although usability is still not too good).

Yea, I hate the GUI of the RAZR. It looks ugly and outdated. You would think they would give the RAZR a different UI.

tomokun

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I voted V3m out of all of those phones. V3c is just silly to get now, and Q is just not worth it.

I have a V710, and i love it, however there are EV-DO capable phones from Verizon and Motorola that are better than any silly razr.

EDIT: Like for a music phone, you could get one of the LG or Sammy phones with the built in stereo speakers, etc, for much cheaper than the Razr. Also the Razr is a bitch to use as a real phone.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
tomokun said:
Also the Razr is a bitch to use as a real phone.

How so? An awful lot of people seem to have them, so they can't be that bad.

I keep thinking of ways I could use the Q to get more organized, but I already tried a pocket pc...didn't work...but that's because I didn't want to carry both that AND my phone...maybe if they were together...

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
last i checked, verizon cripples the bluetooth on all of their phones (at least on the v3c) so that customers have to buy a special cable from them just to sync with a computer. that said, i've got the original razr v3 on cingular. it's lasted me ages and i wouldn't trade it for anything else. isync keeps all of my contacts up to date via bluetooth, and and i can upload and manage all of my pictures just as easily. while i've never seen the v3m, i know the v3c to be noticeably larger than the original v3. and as far as itunes and phones are concerned, i really don't think it's worth it. phones are not ipods. nor should they be.:rolleyes:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I see what you mean. I know about them crippling the phones, but I don't have much of a choice....we have Verizon.

tomokun

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
ITASOR said:
How so? An awful lot of people seem to have them, so they can't be that bad.

I keep thinking of ways I could use the Q to get more organized, but I already tried a pocket pc...didn't work...but that's because I didn't want to carry both that AND my phone...maybe if they were together...
Its hard to hold for long periods of time. Its fine for just quick every so often calls, but anything longer it gets hard to hold on to. You cant tilt your head and hold it, as with my V710 you can.

There are nicer phones out there then the Razr, EVEN on Verizon.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
ITASOR said:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I know about them crippling the phones, but I don't have much of a choice....we have Verizon.

Yea, I'm stuck in the same boat as you. The phones I was looking at were the LG VX9800, the Motorola E815, the Motorola RAZR V3c/V3m, and a Motorola V325. I ruled out the V325 and then the E815. But I'm still going back and forth on the VX9800 and the RAZR V3c/V3m. I can't decide, they're both so great. In your case though I would go with the RAZR V3m. The Moto Q is too confusing for me, as all smartphones. I hope to defy them someday, however. :eek:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
skipskop24 said:
Yea, I'm stuck in the same boat as you. The phones I was looking at were the LG VX9800, the Motorola E815, the Motorola RAZR V3c/V3m, and a Motorola V325. I ruled out the V325 and then the E815. But I'm still going back and forth on the VX9800 and the RAZR V3c/V3m. I can't decide, they're both so great. In your case though I would go with the RAZR V3m. The Moto Q is too confusing for me, as all smartphones. I hope to defy them someday, however. :eek:

The smartphones don't intimidate me, but I don't really think it'll be practical. I'm not judging by the cost, since they're somewhat close, but I think 1) it's too big to fit in my pocket all day, 2) it might be harder to do simple things like put it on vibrate for school, etc. 3) the screen will probably break in my pocket, 4) I would be very afraid to drop it.

But the Picture caller ID is hot...does the RAZR have that?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i'd get the mot 815. Its the only decent phone verizon offers... I have it and its awesome. It sync with ical/address book just fine and it also has bluetooth. My friend has a V3c and its slow. He presses a button and it responds like 5 seconds later...

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
puckhead193 said:
My friend has a V3c and its slow. He presses a button and it responds like 5 seconds later...

I had the same problem. After bringing it into the Verizon shop, it wound up that I still had the 03 firmware on it, which is was a helluva lot slower than both 02 and the current 04. Upon getting 04 put on my V3c (for free obviously), the scrolling/phone is much, much faster. Almost instantaneous, so tell your buddy to go get it updated to the newest firmware in-store.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I ended up getting a V3c. It's not worth it for me to get the v3m, because I don't use VCast, etc. which I would need the miniSD card slot for.

I love the RAZR V3c and think I'll be keeping it for a long time. It has a great color screen, owns my old phone!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i like my V3i, i dont get any of the slowness others report, and i love the purple gun metal look (i have the apparently silver version, but in real life it's purple)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.