RCT3 on a Mac mini, and video card recommendation

Discussion in 'Games' started by yg17, Dec 1, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My parents and brother share one of the unannounced Mac Mini's with 512 megs RAM. Does anyone know how RCT3 would perform on their computer? My brother might buy a copy, but I don't want him to if it will run like crap.

That said, I also bought RCT3 (addicting game) and it lags a little bit on my G5. 2x1.8GHz, 1.25 gigs RAM. I think the processor and RAM are more than enough, it's probably the Geforce FX5200 holding it back since RCT3 and other games I've played lag a bit. Can anyone recommend a video card for my Mac, around $150 or so, that's better than what I have now? Thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You answered your own question :)

It's get laggy and stuttery on my powermac dual 1.8 with 2.5gig ram and X800 XT 256mb graphics card.

I'd say forget it on the mini unless you run the game at 800x600 with minimal everything.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've no experience with the game, so I can't help with that...

As for the video card, if you have a GeForce 5200 the next step up would be a Radeon 9800 Pro, which will run about $260 new - there are several different versions, but only one being sold now. There is a Radeon 9600 available too but it isn't enough of a difference to justify the cost. Everything else is a lot more money, like the $440 Radeon X800XT, or GeForce 6800 series.

eBay will have lower prices, of course.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not much into video cards, but that's pretty much top of the line, isnt it? So maybe it's a bug in the game rather than a video card?

I'll try my copy on the mini (yeah, I know it's illegal, it's for a test though ;)) before he buys it. Since they have a CRT, 800x600 is doable without massive distortion like you'd get on an LCD.