RDC & VPN experiences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by darraghsmyth, May 4, 2004.

1. darraghsmyth macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2004
    London, UK
    When my 12" PB arrives, I'll be looking to connect to my work PC network from home, using some sort of Remote Desktop Client (RDC) and Virtual Private Network (VPN). Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Is RDC for connecting Mac to Win built in to OS X, or do I need to download the likes of the s/w from MS?

Does anyone have any experience with using VPN tracker
    (http://www.equinux.com/us/products/vpntracker/) to connect their OS X @home to Windows @work?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for VPN s/w that works well in such a scenario?

thanks in advance for all your help
  2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    You need to download it from MS. It works pretty good, depending on the speed of the network (LAN vs. Internet, etc.). I think having a faster computer helps too. I noticed some improvement going from my old (upgraded Rev. B iMac) to my brother's 800 MHz iBook.
  3. jane doe macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    VPN tracker

I use VPN tracker... Its not bad. I don't use it to connect to a win VPC box but rather a CPN router.

I've had my ups and downs with it, the documentation sucks. But since i'm not paying for it, i can't complain.
  4. darraghsmyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2004
    London, UK
    I take it that OS X doesn't come with it's own VPN software?

One thing that puzzles me is whether VPN s/w in general all use the same encryption/decryption protocols. Is this the case?

5. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

VPN is built into the networking section of the OS. I use it myself, configuration was a dodle, though I haven't tried an RDC over it.