RDC with VPC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PatFlanel, Dec 2, 2004.

1. PatFlanel macrumors newbie

I have read that by using Remote Desktop Connection with Virtual PC (XP Pro) you can speed up VPC.
    Has anyone tried this?
    I have tried to do it but I keep getting an error message saying it cannot connect.
    I have enabled Remote Desktop on VPC. I have taken the IP from VPC, I have used the account name and password, don't know what the domain is (not used to working with networks or PC's)
    Little snitch tells me RDC wants to connect but then up comes the error message.
    Can anyone help, please ?

I know I could buy a cheap PC but I already have VPC 'cos I don't have room for another box.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Where have you read that this makes VPC faster? I cannot imagine how this could possibly be the case.

3. PatFlanel thread starter macrumors newbie

RDC and VPC

It was on MacinTouch
    Apparently, and i am quoting here as I have not got it working.
    From macintouch

Dan Coyle shared a neat trick for speeding up Windows running on a Mac:
    I've found I can get a pretty substantial speedup of Virtual PC running Windows XP Pro by using Microsoft's free Remote Desktop Client to connect to the virtual machine. My "testing" has been very limited and informal, but the speedup is definitely there. For example, launching Mozilla Firefox on the virtual display window takes about 17 seconds. Launching via RDC takes 8-9 seconds. Playing music on the virtual machine can often be choppy as either my Mac or XP Pro appears to be paging (I have 1 GB of RAM and I don't think this is enough for running XP in a virtual environment). Using RDC, I can't get the sound to go haywire even by launching other programs on the XP virtual machine.
    * My theory is that the display and audio emulation are very resource-intensive in comparison to whatever magic XP's Remote Desktop Server Software is doing. Meanwhile, the RD Client is running in my Mac's native mode and has no problem keeping up. When I log into the XP virtual machine via RDC, I use the same account that the emulator is logged into. The emulated machine automatically goes back to the login screen, so it is essentially doing nothing by way of putting graphics or sound up.
    * While I hope this is useful to others, I'm frankly amazed at how flawlessly this all works. Microsoft has done a very good job both with VPC and RD server/client. As an aside, I would sure like to see Apple bundle similar Remote Connection software with Mac OS X.

Thanks

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

To use RDC you actually have to have a pc.
    You run the apps on the pc and it sends "the screen" to the mac.
    It looks like vpc, but it is much speedier (if you have a pc), you will also need to have a fast connection between the two machine (preferably a 100mbit or faster connection..)

I use RDC from my powerbook to my dell optiplex.

5. sgarringer macrumors regular

No you should be able to use RDC to connect to an emulated PC. Although I doubt its faster. Make sure to enable shared networking, and then make sure you dont have the WinXP firewall running, which blocks RDC connections be default.

6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

WOW

I never thought of doing it that way.

Since VPC really chokes when trying to do anything graphically, I am sure that this will help quite a bit.

Very Interesting...

Max.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I haven't even a monitor on my pc. It runs a few network services and its my VPC (even if its a real pc..)

You can get a cheap 1 GHz pc for less than VPC costs, and RDC is free

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Good advice!

I can't imagine how VPC through RDC is faster...very very strange. :confused:

9. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Upon first thought, this seems like it would be slower but then I started to think about it. When you login with RDC it leaves the computer you are using at a logon screen. The screen doesnt have to show what is being rendered. Also what it is sending through as the screen is more compressed so it looks worse but runs faster. The computer would also be sending lower quality sounds. Also, certain graphical components and other os components are disabled (try to run a program requiring DirectX and you'll see what I mean).

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Hey, I'm going to post before I go out and search, but can Win98 have the ability to be a terminal server.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Post back, quickly! I have a Win98 box and I want to know how to do this!

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

VPC works by giving you a bitmap of the entire screen, which is slow. RDC, on the other hand, just sends the GDI commands ('draw a window here' etc), and the display is rendered natively. I'll have to give this a go :)

Edit: However, since my copy of Windows in VPC has decided to screw itself up, I can't give any speed tests.

13. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Is this right? I thought the idea in this thread was that you could run RDC in OS X, connected to the guest XP running in VPC, on the same Mac.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I use VPC quite a lot for Visio and MS Project, so anything that would improve apparent performance would be quite handy.

Nermal - did you get anywhere with this? I'm keen to find out how you went. Or has your Win in VPC totally carked it?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OS X kernel panicked while VPC was running :eek: and I think it corrupted the HD image, because it now throws up error after error after error. I can't be bothered with reinstalling Windows at the moment.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No. THE RDC Server is only available on WinXP (and it might even be just the Pro version, can't remember). The RDC client can connect to the WinXP RDC server, as well as any full version Terminal Server (server 2000, 2003 etc).

16. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Good luck recovering the disk.
    BTW, is that a picture of "Fred"?

Edit: OK, has anybody here been able to get this to work?

17. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Yeah, I figured windows 98 didn't have that ability what so ever. I guess I'll have to use another computer running windows xp then for my brother and parents. They have and iMac, but use the windows computer yet for special apps that are not on the mac yet. Or are on the mac, but wont run in Classic correctly. This RDC would help in not using a slow VPC. And I have XP Pro, got it for free from my School when they were giving it out to students. Now I just need to find that disk.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My avatar? It's Melissa from EGS.

19. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

comes with windows 2000 server as well, works kinda ok on a sawtooth (see sig) a little faster. still wine on fedora is better.

20. PatFlanel thread starter macrumors newbie

Working

Well I have done it. :)
    It is slightly faster, but you don't get any of the fancy bits like active X or any fancy gui things. Its very plain.
    Exploder launches quicker as does firefox.
    Whether I will use or not I don't know but it can be done.
    Just thought I'd let you know anyway

You need to set VPC to virtual switch and DHCP (get IP from router) :)