Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rdio today announced a new and improved Station function, offering radio stations that include a number of personalization features. For example, users are able to listen to stations that have been created based on personal and friend preference, and the whole system is designed to facilitate better music discovery.

With the update to Stations, Rdio has also included You FM, which uses Taste Profiling technology from The Echo Nest to create a personal station based on listening history, track voting, Facebook likes, Twitter follows, and more.

stations.jpg
- New and Improved Stations. Lean back and listen to an endless variety of stations (based on an artist, song, genre, and more), each drawing from a catalog of 20 million songs.

- Redesigned Stations Player. Vote on individual tracks and pivot stations based on favorite songs in a redesigned UI that showcases album art front and center.

- You FM. Listen to your personalized station, playing a mix of favorites and related tracks.

- Various UI improvements and minor bug fixes.
Rdio is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rdio Updated with Highly Personalized Radio Stations

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Beware the in-app purchase of $14.99 a month.

Yeah make sure to subscribe through their website for the $10/month fee. Because of the Apple 70/30 terms they had to bump up the price for in-app purchasing.

This service is amazing though. I've had it for about two years and love it.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Love the design aesthetics of their app, but Mog is better in almost every other way - especially when it comes to recommending new music to you (their "similar artists" section is fantastic.) I keep hoping Rdio will roll out something like this but it appears Mog has the market cornered on this - and that's why I'll stick with them.

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
I still completely love Rdio.

I find the Radio Station analouge a bit odd though. "James FM". FM? It's not being broadcast on FM! Why not AM?! Even "Radio James" would be a bit weird as it's not on a radio. Rdio James?

The James Station is the least offensive. Yet it's still not a station.

It's basically just a playlist right? The James Playlist?

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Haven't tried this yet, but love Rdio. In this new version they also tweaked the UI so the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen and the Now Playing page are a heavily blurred version of the cover art. Makes the now playing bar much easier to identify and is a nice touch overall.

I love the app's UI, but it is a little bit confusing to use at first.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.