Re: Apple Laptops with USB 2.0?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Santeh, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Santeh macrumors member

Hello all,

Recently I posted a message asking about inexpensive laptops. The MacRumors community was great (as always), and offered some very good suggests (thanks again!). However I am still in a situation where I just do not have a lot of money, but am in need of an Apple laptop that is relatively inexpensive.

However I did not think of one issue that might impact the kind of Apple laptop I could buy. I have a 1 GB USB Jumpdrive Media by Lexar that will only work with USB 2.0. As such I set about trying to locate which past Apple models use USB 2.0, and not just USB 1.1. However this information has not been easy to glean, thus I was wondering if the excellent MacRumors community could help. What might be the oldest (hence less expensive) type of Apple Laptop that uses USB 2.0?

Thank you all for your help!

Always,

Sam

2. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

I might be mistaken, but aren't all flash drives backwards compatible to USB 1.1?

3. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

ummm

i think you are correct, usb is backwards compatible, so there should be no USB2 only disk drives etc.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you're thinking going as old as a Powerbook G3 (or even a TiBook), they have PCMIA (PC Card) slots in which you can add a USB 2.0 card.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I know for a fact that thhat JumpDrive WILL work will USB 1.1 as i have that exact same flash drive and it works just fine on a dell that has USB 1.1. That flash drive will work with USB 1.1 it will just be not a fast

7. ibilly macrumors regular

I don't know about the iBooks, but the Titanium PBs DONT have it, the first 12" doesnt, but the second and on (1 Ghz +) DO. I'm not sure baout the first 15" Al, or the 17's (but those aren't your best budget choices...)

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

The first 17" was USB 1.1

The first 15" was USB 2

I've owned both but for ibooks, you'll need someone else's input

9. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

All of the G3 iBooks were USB 1.1, and USB 2.0 was introduced on the very first iBook G4's.