Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
io_burn said:
Apple REALLY doesn't know how to apply thermal paste.

Temperature before:
Idle: ~70C
Load: 95C+ (Highest I saw was 97C)
Case Temp: Too hot to handle.

Temperature After:
Idle: ~40C
Load: ~60C
Case Temp: Barely warm.
Thanks for posting this information.

Looks like the Quality Control is lacking concerning the application of thermal paste. Or that the manufacturing process is flawed.

Either way, I hope that Apple sees this and changes what they need to change in order to have the process completed correctly.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
This is actually shocking because Apple should know better and probably does. I´m just wondering if this could just be a marketing thing; having the computers running hot so they won´t last for long so you would have to buy a new Mac sooner? :rolleyes:

My 2 iMacs rev A run very hot and I´m wondering if it would be possible and productive to put some Artic silver on them? They are now both out of warranty so that is not an issue.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Willy S said:
I´m just wondering if this could just be a marketing thing; having the computers running hot so they won´t last for long so you would have to buy a new Mac sooner? :rolleyes:

That would make sense, and join the trend with the huge (unacknowledged) epidemic of logic board failure in iBooks.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
thefunkymunky said:
@ Gordy. Which week is your MBP.

Not sure its serial W8609 so one of the earlier ones. Just booted it up and the temp was reading 35degrees buts now hovering around 43degrees. And its a hot day today in the UK .

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Gordy said:
Not sure its serial W8609 so one of the earlier ones. Just booted it up and the temp was reading 35degrees buts now hovering around 43degrees. And its a hot day today in the UK .

A week 9 model then. Mine is W8607, week 7. Even peeps with the latest models have problems. I wonder if they will ever fix the 15-incher.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
you think ibook g4s have the same problem? is it worth doing by yourself?

BTW, artic ceramique is a thermal paste i highly recommend. it is like, 1/4 of the price of artic silver 5 (well, that's what the store at my place showed), and it performs only like 1/100 degree more (in terms of heat)

ok, the point of thermal paste is to increase the contact of the heatsink, and the heat producer together as much as possible. so, thermal paste is "invented".

metal, although looks smooth, is not. if magnified it looks like a farmland having ditches, hills, and holes. now, the thermal grease fills the gaps and therefore increases contact between the 2 surfaces. many people have a problem of applying too much thermal grease, because thermal grease is still not as effective at conducting heat as metal, so too much will choke the flow.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Sutekidane said:
I've gone as far as taking the top case off my macbook pro, but realized that I don't have any thermal paste. After putting it back together I've realized that the front left corner (near the HD) squeeks pretty bad.

I wish apple would just use screws all around the notebook instead of those annoying clips that wear out.
With all that Apple has in there you shouldnt need anymore:D Maybe just scrape off all that excess, anyways you can get some for a couple of bucks at your local Radioshack.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
steelfist said:
you think ibook g4s have the same problem? is it worth doing by yourself?

BTW, artic ceramique is a thermal paste i highly recommend. it is like, 1/4 of the price of artic silver 5 (well, that's what the store at my place showed), and it performs only like 1/100 degree more (in terms of heat)

ok, the point of thermal paste is to increase the contact of the heatsink, and the heat producer together as much as possible. so, thermal paste is "invented".

metal, although looks smooth, is not. if magnified it looks like a farmland having ditches, hills, and holes. now, the thermal grease fills the gaps and therefore increases contact between the 2 surfaces. many people have a problem of applying too much thermal grease, because thermal grease is still not as effective at conducting heat as metal, so too much will choke the flow.

My iBook certainly never felt any more than mildly warm to the touch, but that's just it, could the heat have been trapped inside? the fan barely ever came on.

Either way it's an expensive paperweight now, so if you can do it, I would.

The iBook G4 is a helluva lot easier to take apart than the clamshell! It really ain't that hard.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
thejadedmonkey said:
So if this is how apple applies thermal grease, is this why we never saw a G5 PowerBook (and the main reason for the switch to Intel)?

No, it still would be unbareably hot. I think it would go from a lava melting laptop to massive burns on legs that require immediate surgery.

(500th post)

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
FF_productions said:
No, it still would be unbareably hot. I think it would go from a lava melting laptop to massive burns on legs that require immediate surgery.

(500th post)

Now that school is out for the summer I think I might make reapplying the thermal paste my mini computer project... that or orgami.

congrats on the 500th post FF.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
io_burn said:
Sure, it's not going to get you anywhere though. The reason I did this myself is because two different "geniuses" at two different Apple Stores told me my MBP was operating "within spec" and it's a portable computer, not a laptop. Also, I got the same results by calling Apple. In all of these instances I was able to cite sources from their own forums of people drastically decreasing the operating temperatures of their computer by correctly installing the logic board on the heat pipe.
I called and cited your data, as well as some AMD and Intel whitepapers... the results? w00t

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I find it rather crappy that you have to fix this yourself.
I for one would make apple do it.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
iMac

Anyone know what we should expect from the iMac w/ Core Duo as far as temperature goes? My iMac using that CoreDuoTemp app ides in between 31 and 37 degrees celcius. Where as pushing it to say 50% usage usually puts me in the low 50's. I don't know if the problem is from the chinese factories, but my iMac was shipped and assembled in California.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Background info: Standard 2.0ghz duo core, w861211NVJ1

@ 100% load: 81* C (using Seti)
@ 2.5% load: 62* C (in a matter of 10 mins)

Is this normal or considered one of the "hot" mbps?

If I were apple, i would work on fan control. Have it kick in b4 it reached 60C.

My cousin's duo core IBM/Lenovo runs @ full load is at 50*C (both cpus @ 100%)
------------------------

From my experience, my old Gateway Solo 2550 was very hot on the bottom as well, especially where the ram was located. As for the stripe above the F keys, who would want to touch there anyways? Mine is hot there too, but i have no reason to put my finger or any body parts there.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
n8236 said:
Background info: Standard 2.0ghz duo core, w861211NVJ1

@ 100% load: 81* C (using Seti)
@ 2.5% load: 62* C (in a matter of 10 mins)

Is this normal or considered one of the "hot" mbps?

------------------------

From my experience, my old Gateway Solo 2550 was very hot on the bottom as well, especially where the ram was located. As for the stripe above the F keys, who would want to touch there anyways? Mine is hot there too, but i have no reason to put my finger or any body parts there.

to answer you question that is on the hot sidel your idle temp is about as high as a load temp should get to.

people keep blaming china but the problem with the heat is a design flaw that is caus by apple design. Apple own manual state to use that much thermo compound causing the problem. The china plants are just following directions to the letter which just happen to be piss poor engineering and designed. It clearly an apple design flaw that they need to fess up to and fix

apple4life

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
China....

gekko513 said:
I agree. This has nothing to with China and the Chinese.

It has everything to do with quality control, cost savings, companies and their business deals.

Keep sending the chinese money, boys... keep sending them money...!!

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
steelfist said:
I wouldn't use that. When taking off the HSF again, it can sometimes rip the core off as well. It's designed to be used on HSF's for things such as 3D card GPU's where some do not have any way of fastening them to the PCB.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
whats a good temperature reader? im getting 39 C using temperature monitor and 72 C using CoreDuoTemp

Thats after playing Halo at full specs for a while

slyydrr

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
whats a good temperature reader? im getting 39 C using temperature monitor and 72 C using CoreDuoTemp

If you were playing Halo, you're 72C one is the acccurate one. People here haven't really been able to sustain a 39C temp while idle.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Scarlet Fever said:

Is temp monitor the one that showes the hard drive temp by default?

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
Anyone know what iMacs can use to measure temperature? The CoreDuoTemp app works but nothing else does. Temperature Monitor seems to only pickup my HD. And this CoreDuoTemp app is hilarious. After leaving my machine on all night with things like Azureus open, I stabilized at 25 degrees celcius.
These are the same chips in the MacBook Pro right? I guess the iMac has alot more room to work with, but still that is a hell of a difference in temperature with the same chip.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
howesey said:
I wouldn't use that. When taking off the HSF again, it can sometimes rip the core off as well. It's designed to be used on HSF's for things such as 3D card GPU's where some do not have any way of fastening them to the PCB.

Negative, you're thinking of thermal adhesive.

Arctic Ceramique is exactly the same in terms of physical characteristics, only it uses ceramics instead of silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.