Re-download of purchases

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jasg49, Sep 26, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I'm a bit confused. Here is my scenario:

I have two Macs - call them I and II. Each is associated with the same iTunes account. I have two iDevices - A and B - A is sync'd with Mac I and B with Mac II.

If I purchase an iBook on iDevice A, am I allowed to re-download it on iDevice B without being charged again?

2. macrumors member

The way I would do it is find the main iTunes folder on your Mac that the book is published on. Go into the iTunes Music folder, then go into books, choose the book and copy the file.

Take that file to your second Mac, open it with iTunes and then sync that to the device that the book isn't on?

3. macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I do it all the time dude. No worries.

4. macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Your purchases are tied to your iTunes account, not your devices. You'll be OK :D

5. macrumors 68040

You know on my iPod touch when I download an app that I have bought before I receive a message stating "You have purchased this... so you wont be charged again" something like that... I have never seen that on the iPad. Any clue why?

6. thread starter macrumors member

I guess I had better call Apple, they charged me twice for the same book.

7. macrumors G3

Night Spring

First, make sure both devices are signed into the same iTunes account. Then go into iBooks store, and at the bottom right, there's an icon labelled "purchases." Click that, and you get a list of all books you've bought through iBooks. Redownload away without fear of being charged again.

I wish they'd do this for apps too!

8. macrumors regular

That happened to me, too, the other night. The funny thing was that I had two books to re-download. The first, I got that expected "You have already purchased this item, would you like to download it again for free?" message. With the second, downloaded half a minute later, I got no message, but a charge showed up on my account. I filed a complaint through iTunes, and they refunded me, but the (form) email informing me of that also said they were making a one-time exception, that the iTunes terms and conditions state that all sales are final. Whatever. I haven't had this problem with the other places I buy ebooks, so I'll probably be more likely to buy from those other places in the future.

9. macrumors regular

Thank you! I hadn't noticed that icon before.

10. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

Turn on home sharing and set each computer to automatically download what you purchase on the other.

11. macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Can you explain further. I have two iPads, two iPhones that share the same iTunes account but different libraries. NOT ONCE have I been charged for the same apps or books. Not once.

12. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Purchases from iTunes/iBooks are tied to the iTunes account, not to your iTunes library. What you've experienced is normal behavior. I'm just recommending that you redownload iBooks using the "Purchases" link in iBooks store to avoid any possibility for being charged twice for the same book. Reasons I can think of that you might be charged twice are:

1. You have inadvertently signed into a different iTunes account than the one you used to buy the book you tried to redownload.

2. Some books appear multiple times in the iBooks store for whatever reason, and might be considered separate books for accounting purposes, so if you pick the wrong one, you might be charged again.

3. Some glitch or bug in iTunes/iBooks.

So just use the "Purchases" link and you have peace of mind!

13. macrumors 68020

+1 internets for this answer.

14. macrumors regular

You can just "rebuy" the app from the store and it will tell you that you already bought it and won't be charged. The same thing applies to in-app purchases, so if you ever reset your iDevice and lose your in-app extras, just "rebuy" them (for those apps that don't have a "check for purchased stuff" option).

15. macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Where is this setting that you mentioned. I do not see it in iTunes and I have network sharing enabled on all of my Macs.

16. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Yes, but if you see an app in the app store and you can't remember if you previously bought it or not, you can't tell until you click the "buy" button. The "purchases" list in iBooks lets you see all the books you've bought before you redownload them, so no more guessing.

17. macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, you can do it in up to 5 machines + iDevices

18. macrumors G3

Night Spring

It's 5 computers + infinite number of iDevices.

19. macrumors 68040

maturola

When I said "iDevices" I meant all iDevices you own, but I see your point it could be confuse with the 5 being belong to the iDevices too

20. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

in itunes under advanced, turn on home sharing. this is different than just sharing on the network. make sure both computers have this enabled. on the left sidebar you should the other shared computer. select this computer and on the bottom right, there should be a settings button. hit settings and select which files you want automatically transfered going forward.

21. macrumors 65816

Are you saying the iPad can use home sharing? Or am I misunderstanding the discussion?

22. macrumors G3

Night Spring

OP said he has two computers, and wants his purchased content on both computers, so people are suggesting he use Home Sharing to do so. Ipads aren't directly related to this part of the discussion.

23. macrumors 65816

Ah, I see. I got all excited for a brief moment. Am I the only one who misses not having home sharing on the iPad?

24. macrumors G3

Night Spring

I dunno, I just sync my iPad to my computer once a day.

25. macrumors 65816

Yeah. I'm one of those people who sync once every couple months. :p