Re-Download Purchased iTunes Songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wPod, Oct 24, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Well, I got a friend of mine to switch to mac, he got a new 12" PB (which is better and faster than mine, so now i have to be jealous! heh). The reason he finally switched is because his windows laptop completely crashed on him, had to wipe his HD clean and re-install everything. He had all his data and class work backed up, but he did not have his music collection backed up (aside from what he has on CD). So, the question is, can he re-download songs he purchased from iTMS? I got him to go to the advanced menu then 'check for purchases' but it told him everything had been downloaded. Is there a way to re-download music w/o purchasing it a second time? Everything from his old windows machine is gone. Just wondering.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Nope, Can't get it back.

That's why there's that little "remember to back up your music!!" pop up after you finish downloading.

Sorry, dude. :(

BUT if he has it on an iPod, there are iPod music extractors.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If he has an iPod and his purchased music was on it, he can get it back. BUT, make sure he doesn't try to sync it with his new computer, or everything on it will get erased. He needs to get the files off of it first before he tries to do anything with it in iTunes. There are several apps out there that will get music files off of an iPod, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ollie's iPod Extractor.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Senuti is really good too. And for a small fee, ipod.itunes will import your whole library including playlists.

5. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

he only has an iPod shuffle, so i am not sure if all of his purchased songs are on it. but im assuming the extractors work with the shuffle as well? i suddenly feel good that i have my music collection backed up on my iPod as well as an external HD. . . but thats me, im paranoid about redundant backups!!! thanks!!! when i have some free time ill show my friend some good extractors and hopefully he has his music on his shuffle!