Re-Downloading mc68k's Scripts

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MrMacMan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I want to re-install the script so I can get Folding to load on restart (it hasn't since I last updated the script) so is there anything I should know... delete or otherwise do before re-starting the Folding Script?

(I just sent a WU in so now is the necessary time)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If I remember correctly, since I don't have them installed, you should be able to type rid and press <enter> and everything will be removed. Then, you can install them all again.

3. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It worked thanks.

4. Plutronics macrumors member

A Possible Caveat:

The "rid" command deleted my "F@H1" folder. I wasn't expecting that.
    I had waited to finish a WU and stopped at 1% of new to switch to the "Key Drive" and was going to Xfer the folder and continue. My Personal #1 rule is to wait till a WU finishes and uploads before breathing on a computer. I'm overly cautious if it doesn't interfere with efficiency. :D

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: A Possible Caveat:

Were you folding for another team at the time? I specifically helped mc68k change the scripts to mess up anyone whose team number was not 3446. :D :eek:

Of course, I'm kidding. We'll see if this shows up elsewhere though. :D

6. bertinman macrumors 6502

Re: Re: A Possible Caveat:

don't forget to heed the warning about tanking the crontab! I didn't and had to spend an hour figuring out what the heck was in it in the first place... I was adding to it a few things every week it seems, and didn't make notes--Now I do.

Maybe, if mc68k reads this he could have his script tac-on a line instead of replacing :(.

7. Plutronics macrumors member

I'm To new to fully understand the implications of trashing the corncob , but have also not done any changes so was not to worried and all else is purring along since then ( 4-5 days ). I bought two books guaranteed to make me a Eunuch Greek and all heck will soon break out :D

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

hey, tell me what u guys want specifically and i'll change it

i used rid a lot for testing puposes. sorry if it screwed stuff up. it's a powerful command. :(

9. Plutronics macrumors member

Nothing was lost - no problemo - I still use your Excellent Script on this Pismo and the wife's iMac. It makes life easier ! I've put Key drives on my 3 "Mac Power Towers" and will get 2 more when on sale next and by then I'll run my own code by you maybe?? I'm on 'bout 6 different learning curves at the moment so it's hard to estimate ..
    Live Long and Fold \V/,

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

by key drives do u mean those USB flash drives?

11. Plutronics macrumors member

Yes , USB Flash drives ,I spin down the HDs all night by running folding off of them. About 3 weeks now and all's OK. I'm working on a write up on it and I'll PM it to you , along with a post or two. Next project ( maybe start this weekend ) is monitor Power consumption and I'll post those results likewise. I'm an Electron Grease Monkey by trade :D

12. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

nice! i've got into USB flash drives myself for rc5. they're good for collecting offline work.

13. bertinman macrumors 6502

Ok, it wasn't that bad. I was just stupid and didn't heed your warning. I think you can set it to add a line to the crontab, but I don't know how to nicly get rid of the line... The script is awesome otherwise, just add a big warning for the people like me :p.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If crontab is like the old *tab files, it's just a text file.

Why not use sed to do a search and delete the line?

15. bertinman macrumors 6502

because I am ignorant of sed... Too much windows in my blood :eek:. I'm learning as fast as I can in *nix and Mac though!

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

How do you tell the script not to run at startup? I made my way to the crontab that controls that, but it says not to edit it... I'm confused...

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've forgotten which command allows you to actually edit crontab, but I remember the -e option.

If mc68k gets a chance, I'm sure he'll look into it. If not, perhaps, I can.

Would it be useful to have a little text menu, run from the shell, to allow you to change various things?

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

crontab -e is the way to edit (set the editor variable to your favortie editor)
    crontab -l is the way to list it

the crontab itself is stored at:

/var/cron/tabs
    (need superuser pivledges)

if u run my script, u can specify not to have it run at startup
    two easy commands can get rid of everything in ur crontab:

touch file
    sudo crontab -u username file

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay okay, I knew it was something with a confusing name. :D

20. meeble macrumors member

can't DL the scripts!

hey,

is it just me, or is mc68k's home page down? i wanted to setup a dual G4 to fold today, and couldn't download the script. Would someone be willing to email me that script maybe?

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: can't DL the scripts!

It looks as though his .Mac subscription has run out.

I imagine he'll have them available somewhere else shortly. I can't help you directly though since I'm probably the only one running a dual with different scripts.

22. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i didn't feel like $100 is justified for useless features like virus protection and backup

i will miss some features about .mac

i will make a page for my scripts one of my other servers shortly...once i get someone to help me with html

this is funny:

Attached Files: