? re extra battery for powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andyschm, Jun 11, 2004.

1. andyschm macrumors newbie

Hi.

A simple question regarding powerbook extra battery... some laptops have a modular bay or other place to attach an auxilliary battery -- does the powerbook have such a thing, or is it necessary to shut down the machine and swap batteries (if so, how much effort is required?).

Thanks,
    Andy.

2. reaper macrumors 6502

There isn't an extra space for another battery, but the pb has a smaller battery inside that can hold onto the power long enough while you change the battery. All you have to do is sleep the machine, make sure you change the battery in a little less than 30 seconds and your machine will power right back to where it was! How great is Apple?! :D

- reaper

3. DGFan macrumors 6502a

They'd be even greater if anyone in the Apple Store (Troy, Michigan) actually knew the answer to this question when I asked them. Their response was that, no, you had to power the machine completely off because there was no internal battery.

4. reaper macrumors 6502

Well, it actually depends which pb you were looking at. I actually just found this out myself, so I must also advise the original poster of this as well, that the 12" doesn't have the small battery inside like the 15" and 17", meaning it can't sustain itself in sleep mode with the battery removed. Don't know why, but I thought I would make that clear before causing someone to lose their work. :eek:

So, if you were looking at a 12" at the time, they did know what they were talking about, but if you weren't then shame on them! :D

- reaper