re: Hard Drive compatibility....newbie question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ajstaplegun, May 23, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

May 23, 2004
    I am completely ignorant when it comes to hardware so would really appreciate some help...

I will finally be able to afford to shift from PC to Mac very shortly..So I was wondering if I will be able to put the hard drives in my current PC into a G4 ?...obviously I will format them but are the connections the same ? do I need special cables ?

specfically I want to put a

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 80 GB. 7,200rpm, 2048K cache, ATA-133, IDE, Fluid Bearing Hard Disk Drive

into a

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    yes you can it will work you could probably put your optical drive in there too and if you have a flashable ghraphics card you could pop it over with a bit of work
  3. macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    With most hardware things that are in a Mac, they are standard, like the Ram, Harddisk, including connectors. Most of the time Apple is a bit before the rest of the industry to put a new standard in a new machine, so the pc world doesn't fully work with it. But with harddisks it's pretty standard.

Your Quicksilver has an ATA-66 mhz bus for the harddisk. You can connect the ATA-133 mhz Maxtor to this (if I am correct). Unfortunately, your harddrive can't be used to it's full potential, but you will probably see an increase in speed with transferring big files to your harddisk.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2004
    Thats fantastic news...many thanks guys!

Thought it would be odd if they weren't compatible..but had to I just have to wait for the damn thing to arrive :)