Re-initializing Sound Check?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dXTC, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I've read that iTunes's Sound Check can help "normalize" sound volume from song to song, so I activated it. However, I had to cancel it in mid-process, after only a few songs.

Now, when I disable and re-enable Sound Check, iTunes does not resume normalizing the rest of the songs; it acts as if almost everythings been "normalized" to the default value. I'm using iTunes for Windows, so the venerated Doug's Applescripts page does me no good.

Is there any way to tell iTunes that I would like to restart the Sound Check process and re-normalize, without having to zap'n'refresh my entire library and rebuild all my playlists?

Thanks!

2. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

what is the sound check in the ipod?? i never knew what this was for

3. dXTC thread starter macrumors 68020

dXTC

Sound Check is a iTunes function that:
    (1) analyzes the overall volume of each song in the Library,
    (2) sets the Volume Adjustment for each song so that they all have purportedly the same relative loudness;
    (3) syncs that Volume Adjustment data to the iPod, to prevent having to change the iPod's volume every time a new song plays.

This is really handy for those who primarily "shuffle", as you can imagine.

Enabling Sound Check on the iPod does nothing unless Sound Check is also enabled in its corresponding iTunes.

The process in step (1) takes several seconds for each song, depending on song length and overall computer speed. If you have thousands of songs, you might want to let this run overnight. I unfortunately had to interrupt this step after only a few songs; Sound Check now apparently thinks that almost every track is "adjusted" to the default level, and there's no clear way to re-initiate the process, so far as I can tell.