Re-installing my OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrosive vinyl, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I believe that I want to re install my OS (10.4) from the backup discs provided when I got my computer (G4 ibook 1.33ghz) Does this seem the best idea? I am worried about this because I have never attempted such a thing before with no assistance. I believe I have 10.3 on my backup discs and another disc to upgrade to 10.4. They are being mailed to me as we speak.

I have decided this because 1. When I startup my machine I get the gray screen with the apple and then I can see the terminal running instead of the gray screen with the spinning wheel underneath. also, 2. in the last 3 weeks I have had to boot it up in safe mode to even boot at all. On top of these issues Safari has been randomly closing for no reason, at least once or twice a week I have that message, do you want to re open the application pop up all too often.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

In general, I find the OS X install process to be much more streamlined and simple than installs of Windows or Linux. It's definitely not a process I would be nervous about, even if you've never done anything like it. However, if you'd like, you can take a look here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50071) and it should give you an idea of what to expect when installing OS X. Note: the install process for Tiger should be similar to the install process for Panther.

As far as I know, there's no such thing as an upgrade disc with OS X. If you have a 10.4 disc (or are getting one in the mail), it's a full install disc.

Put it in the drive, restart the Mac, hold down the C key while it boots and the computer should boot the OS X installer off the disc. Follow the on-screen instructions and in about 30 minutes you'll have yourself a new install of OS X.

I recommend either backing up the data that's important to you before you do this, or doing an "Archive and Install," which will back up your previous home folder before installing the OS. I might do both, just to be safe :)

3. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

thanks for the refernece.. and I agree... the apple OS is a lot easier to set up then windows, I think that is why I gave up trying to use it, cause of those blasted drivers. you need to install them every 5 minutes.

When my backup discs arive I shall see what is there... I got my Puter near the 10.3 10.4 switchover which was fun

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to reinstall OSX under the circumstances you describe. The chances that this procedure will help are close to zero, and the chances that it will make the situation worse is considerably greater than zero. This likely is a hardware-related issue. You need to find out what is actually wrong with this Mac.

5. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

what is the best way of finding that info out... I have been running the disc utility to repair disc permissions, which it has found.
    I live about 2 hours from an apple store so can't just rush it in like I used to.

If not the software, what hardware might freak it out that much?