Re-installing OS 9 for Sonnet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ScubaDuc, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ScubaDuc macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

I am having a bit of a problem with OS 9 that I need to install to have the Sonnet upgrade working. The computer is an G4 867 AGP powerPC which is getting an upgrade to a 1.8 Gh

The problem I am having is that since I live in a french speaking place, the G4 came with OS 9 in French (although they did promise an English version which they never delivered). I upgraded to OSX (in English) and with OS 9 in french it created double directories: one in froggy and one in english: :mad: So, to make a long story short, I just got rid of the French stuff and lived happily therafter with OSX ;)

But now I need to install OS 9 to make the Sonnet work. I bought an OS 9 version off e-bay (a UK one) but I cannot boot from it: If I press the C key, the computer still boots in OS X.3: I have 2 HDs: Why am I not be able to boot from the OS 9 CD like the instruction say? Do I have to get rid of OS X before installing OS9 (by that I mean just unplug the HD)?

In essence, I know it is a silly question but how do I re-install OS 9???? The UK version came with its box and says it is bootable but it just wont boot from the CD...

Thanks for any suggestion

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Is it a retail disk? Meaning it didn't come shipped with like an iBook...if it came specific to a computer, you can't use it most of the time.

No, you don't have to disconnect, uninstall, or touch OS X.

3. ScubaDuc thread starter macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Yes, it is a retail version: It came in its box labelled OS 9.0.4 Retail...:confused:

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It appears your computer will only run OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, thus your CD will not work directly. You MAY be able to simply mount the OS 9.0.4 CD and either install or drag the needed parts over to your hard drive, then go to Apple and download the 9.1 upgrade, then download the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 upgrades, then install them in that order. After all that (and also by going to Disk Utility and selecting "Fix OS 9 Permissions") you might get your computer to boot into 9.2.2.

Here is a compatibility chart:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114

Here are instructions for using system restore CDs (with 9.2 on them) to put OS 9 on an OS X.2 or X.3 system (which may not directly help, but there are points to keep in mind while doing your install):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107383