Re-Installing Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DickArmAndHarT, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    After about a year the PB is seeming a bit sluggish so im considering a clean re-install of panther.

-If i simply drag my home folder and copy it onto my external HD can i just drag it back on to the formatted hd?, without re-installing all software and drivers and things?

-any other tips/how to's/where to find how to's/and advice for maintence.

Thansk for your time.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    If it was me, I'd make a compressed disk image of my entire users folder using Disk Utility – takes a lot more time but it will compress it and keep everything just so with permissions, aliai... then copy that image onto the external HD.

I'm not saying this is the right way or whatever, it's just what I would do...

I've had problems in the past when attempting huge (50gb+) folder copying to another drive.
  3. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004

Now if i were to make the home folder into a DMG..i think thats the same as disk image..once i dragged that over and re-installed. i could boot, drag the file from the external drive and it will copy over so i dont have to re-install everything?