Re: Mac Mini Ram Requirements?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Santeh, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Santeh macrumors member

Hello all,

After having waited for both a return to school and Apple to release updates I have come to the position where school has come and the Apple updates to what I view as my needs has not. As it turns out my wife thinks the Mac Mini is cute, thus I was thinking of investing in one now and waiting to see what happens at the upcoming Apple Expo-Paris and MacWorld. Plus getting the Mac Mini would still allow me to get some simpler tasks done as well as get both of us use to OS X.

I was curious, though, how a Mac Mini with 1 GB RAM does with Tiger? Is there any noticeable slowness to the system? Right now the plan is to use the Mac Mini for MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, and the internet.

As a note, my wife and I are currently using Windows 98 on old Intel systems, thus we would not be comparing quickness of one Mac system to another.

Thank you in advance all!

Respectfully,

Sam

2. Santeh thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I forgot to mention we might also use the Mac Mini with one of the iPods that just came out.

Thanks again!

Sam

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

A Mac Mini with Tiger runs just fine with 1 Gb RAM, less fine with 512, and hopeless with 256 Mb.

4. Mr.Hostility macrumors newbie

Mr.Hostility

512 upgrade felt like a godsend over 256, I can only imagine what the 1gb would be like. I'd say that would be a good minimum.

5. Santeh thread starter macrumors member

Hello all,

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

Respectfully,

Sam

6. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

If you want Tiger to run good, 1GB seems to be a good amount right now. 512MB is probably only good for 2 programs running at one time. 1GB is what will be in my upcoming iBook.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Get 1GB from Crucial, go to your nearest Apple Store and talk to a genius to install it.

simple. *you don't want to risk voiding your warranty*

8. Mr.Hostility macrumors newbie

Mr.Hostility

There was nothing on the side about opening it up and voiding your warranty. Why pay extra for the same memory you can get direct from Crucial? The install is quite simple.