Re: Mac/Windows Program Capatability. Worth Using Virtual PC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Santeh, May 7, 2005.

1. Santeh macrumors member

Hello all!

I have some questions regarding emulating Windows programs on a Mac OS 10.4 computer via Virtual PC 7.

Specifically I am a beginning Ph.D. student that will most likely be doing statistical and graphics work (such as remote sensing images, GIS, etc.) in both biology and geology. In regards to statistics I have used programs such as SigmaStat and SigmaPlot which are, naturally, mathematics and graphics based and for images I have used programs such as ArcView (which can include remotely sensed black/white and color photographs). I was wondering if anyone has had experience, or knew someone that might, with trying to use mathematical and graphics intensive Windows applications on a Mac OS via either the new iMac G5 or the PowerMac G5? Will Virtual PC 7 really work? I have heard that use of Virtual PC is okay, but very slow. What exactly does that translate to? Am I looking at minutes vs. seconds to open and use programs and files or minutes vs. hours?

I know that I have asked some very specific questions. Yet I do thank you all for your time, help, and advice.

Respectfully,

Sam

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

I have used SigmaPlot and ArcView on Windows before, although I have never tried running them with Virtual PC. Here is my opinion based on what I have heard about Virtual PC and what I have experienced with OS emulators in the past:

SigmaPlot (and I imagine SigmaStat) aren't really that processor or graphics intensive, so they may very well run acceptably via Virtual PC. That said, neither program does anything particularly remarkable that I know of, so you could probably find similar programs that do the job as well or better and run natively on the Mac (if you aren't tied to the Sigma apps for compatibility with profs or something).

ArcView is a different story. Virtual PC is not going to like working with large GIS images, and I'd imagine that you would see significant slowdown compared to running it on a native Windows PC. ArcView is also a more unique app, so I'm not sure that you'd be able to replace it with something native to the Mac.

3. Santeh thread starter macrumors member

Hello!

Well, if I am not really in the position to use ArcView, thus remotely sensed photographs, on a Mac via Virtual PC then it seems aparent to look for a Mac native app. and go for the iMac G5 instead of a PowerMac as I would not be in the position of worrying about processor power nearly as much.

Thanks! I appreciate the help and advice.

Respectfully,

Sam

4. Yaja123 macrumors regular

fyi. i have a powerbook g4 with 1gb ram and virtual pc is slow at best for me.