Re: NECC and Hardware Releases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Santeh, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Santeh macrumors member

Hello all,

I am in the market to buy a new computer and have been thinking of getting back into the Apple Mac. world. As such I have been reading on systems, including the latest on releases and changes such as the Intel switch but had a question.

As it turns out I will be starting a graduate program in geology (specifically in astrobiology) this fall and, as far as I know, my needs will be the basic word processing (Microsoft Word), presentations (Powerpoint, iWork, etc.), Excel, statistics (SigmaStat, SigmaPlot, SASS, etc.), some photo work (to be able to image views of other planets and satellites, thus possible need of something like ArcView), and lecture writing (most likely Powerpoint again). I would like to buy something before school begins, thus I have been looking at the iMac G5 with 1.5 GB RAM and 400 MB hard drive. I already have an Xbox, thus games are not a major concern (maybe a Star Wars game on the Mac? :) ).

However I was wondering if Apple has been known to release any new hardware at the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC), which is going to be held from 06/28-06/30, of which Apple has a booth? Specifically has Apple been known to release any education related hardware/software at this event, or is it more on how to use hardware and software such as the iPod, iBook, and iLife/iWork for educational needs (as noted on the Apple web site)?

Thank you all in advance!

Respectfully,

Sam

2. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

I am interested in the answer to this question about NECC as well... does anyone have one?

3. icarusflies macrumors member

There are whole threads devoted to this
    'ibook by next tuesday'

Basically the ibook is WAY OVERDUE for an update
    check the buyers guide table at the top right of this page

I am holding out for the new ibook and am praying that they update either today or next week at the NECC. The ibook is suffering from a poor graphics card/memory and only a base memory of 256mb. Everyone expects a new card and a base memory of 512mb.

But when are the updates due? Only apple knows.
    The NECC would make sense, the ibook is seen as an education mac and after the shock of the intel announcement a good ibook release could be a good move. Lauching at NECC will allow people a bit of time to consider a machine for the new education year.

The last updates missed the NECC last year and came out in October. But this could have been due to any reason - including supply problems. Apple is on the verge of shipping 10.42 and this could also affect the lauch day.

You never know the ibook could even be widescreen and come in a range of colours!

Off to check the applestore now and see if the server is down, that's when the new macs are added.

Sooner rather than later please!!!
    :)

4. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

If you read the guys question then you would see that its not what you are talking about...
    " However I was wondering if Apple has been known to release any new hardware at the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC), which is going to be held from 06/28-06/30, of which Apple has a booth? Specifically has Apple been known to release any education related hardware/software at this event, or is it more on how to use hardware and software such as the iPod, iBook, and iLife/iWork for educational needs (as noted on the Apple web site)?"
    Show me a thread on this b/c i couldnt find one... i know there are tons of threads on iBooks but the question was about what has been released previous years at NECC.