Re-partition Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Nov 21, 2005.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I have an external 180GB Hard Drive which is currently formatted to FAT32. I would now like to format 60GB of it to HFS+ and leave the rest at FAT32. Does anyone know how I can do this without needing to wipe the entire HD clean and losing all my data?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmmm... AFAIK, you cannot. Unless you use an app to repartition it on the PC. And then wipe/reformat whichever partition you want to be HFS+ on the Mac. Or maybe this will work with one of the Mac partiton apps (which scare me). Ultimately, you're going to want a GOOD BACKUP of your data on the external, in case something happens. And when you mess with the partion map, something Bad™ CAN happen. And if you back it up... well you might as well repartition/reformat it the safe way.

I'm not sure you can format a partion as FAT32 on your Mac.. only a whole logical drive.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The only way I know how to do it is via linux live cds that come with a program called parted. It's very risky and you can't have have the disk journalized. I'd recommend finding a temporary spot to store your data, then partition it via disk utility and windows.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

iPartition claims to be able to resize partitions with no data loss, but I think that might be HFS only.
    Your best bet is probably to back it up, then use disk utility to get yourself setup.