RE: Poll on Manual Restarts

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hob, Feb 12, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

if you click here you'll find a poll from a day or two ago... most users havent had to manually restart their apple for months... am i just an impatiant post-windows user who thinks i should turn off my iBook too soon? I seem to have to do it once a week or so!!

Hob

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: RE: Poll on Manual Restarts

Sure you're thinking of the same thing? That poll was on manual restarts--meaning a hardware reset--due to a crash. That would be different from just selecting "shut down" or "restart" from the Apple menu, which, although a "manual restart" (as opposed to an automatic one, whatever that would be) is a "soft" restart, not a complete failure due to a crash.

So, if you're wondering if you don't have to restart (not due to a crash) your iBook once a week, I'd say generally not. If you're running very tight on memory and/or disk space, you could run into virtual memory issues after a lot of use, but I've never seen an appreciable slowdown due to leaving an OSX Mac on too long.

If your iBook is crashing, and crashing that regularly under OSX, something is wrong. Either you've got some sort of corruption issue with the OS, there's some flaky hardware you're using that is causing the OS to lock up, or you've installed some low-level utility that is causing instability. As per that poll, most people with OSX go a month or more without a freeze or crash (kernel panic), myself included.

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

i was talking about manual restart... i think it's time i bought more ram! It does chug along quite slowly sometimes on OS 10.3.2.... 900mhz processor but only 256MB of ram