Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I got my sister an iBook for her birthday on Friday. I wanted to give her that special feeling of when you first switch a new Mac on and you get the welcome screen and the set-up info then you're up and running. So I want to ask: how can I 'preinstall' OS X onto a Mac like how it originally came from the factory? What do I do?

Question 2). Is it safe to use my PowerBook 15" / 17" DVDs to install OS X on this G3 white iBook? If I install OS X from these discs, would there be extra 'hardware specific' software I would be missing for this machine? I hope the answer to that one is, "nope." or "yes, but you can download it all from the Apple website."

Many thanks.
-Luke

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) Backup all the data you want

2) Boot from the restore DVD or CD and wipe the hard drive with disk utility

3) Use the restore DVD or CD to install OSX.

You might well be able to use the restore DVD from a PowerBook on an iBook as iBooks think they are PowerBooks at a low level. Note that this would be breaking the terms of your license agreement.

In terms of software the iBook will then end up with the PowerBook software bundle, not the iBook one so no Appleworks etc. The only way to get this back is with the iBook restore DVD/CD. You cannot download it from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.