Re-Releasing Old Consoles

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Sep 29, 2005.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

that would be cool, but then again i still run my old consoles including my atari jaguar :eek: i mean, come on, i get to play the original doom!

the market has shown that the atari stuff has been doing really well.

3. woxel1 macrumors member

You can get many legacy consoles in Japan, still factory sealed.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

although with Nintendo releasing all the old games again i can see the NES patent thing being renewed. if such thing can happen, i know nothing about legal things.

still... old consoles are bloomin fantastic

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't patents last 75 years before becoming public domain?

6. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

My old NES and SNES and Master and Genisis and... still work perfectly but I would love to see something like that come out for the NES. I'd like to see it include all of the NES games, including the 3rd party ones. That would be great.

That they had some great games back then, and I still have a lot of them today, but the simple fact of the matter is that I can't own all of them on the cartridge. Just isn't possible.

I'd even be willing to spend around $100 if it was well done with all the games.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

that would also be huge. A quick search on LimeWire shows 700 NES roms which take up 200mb and thats not close to every single NES rom. thats if its not 200mb of dirty movies.

I think the Rev will have close to a perfect NES system. maybe have all the games stored on servers and the console merely copies them across for play and deletes them when the system is turned off? the end user will not have to pay for huge storage that way. perhaps?

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I think it depends on the patent type. For instance, if I remember correctly some software patents only last for 17 years.

Is re-releasing anything new? Both Nintendo and Sony seem to be fond of re-releasing redesigns of their old consoles, but I suppose this relates more to releasing the old designs themselves.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You actually could do this on the DS at this point (and it would take about $130), or on the GBA (for much less but you couldn't put anything higher than NES as the GBA couldn't handle SNES games).

M3 Adapter + PassKey = $99. + $30 CompactFlash card. Download an emulator, stuff games on there, and pop it in the DS.

The only problem is ripping the games. It's illegal to download them and very difficult to rip them yourself.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd like to see a NES/SNES rerelease that has the system in the controller, and has some built in games and an expansion port to add more ROMs. The feature that would make something like this worth buying would be to make it broadcast the video/audio signal wirelessly to your TV (broadcast on a selectable unused TV frequency over a very short range, maybe 10-12 feet). Quality wouldn't be great, but these old systems are pretty low resolution and detail anyway, so it would be worth it for the convenience factor.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo should release a flash cart or SD card adapter for the DS slot (like the play yan, but without the multimedia chip because the DS processor is fast enough). They can prevent it from running pirated stuff(and homebrew altogether if needed) but keep the movie/music/images stuff intact...and most importantly, allow you to stick games you've downloaded from the Revolution onto that SD card and take every one you have on the DS :D

12. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

It wouldn't be that big. Just make it like a computer system. A small hard drive. You say 200mb of roms out there? Meh. Maybe a gig? A stylish retro case with controllers and stuff.

Wouldn't be too difficult to make. Might not be that cheap, and doubt it would sell enough, but it would be cool. I'd buy one.

Or maybe to expound on what Green said, have little GBA or DS sized cartridges with 10 or 20 games a piece. That would be maybe 50 carts total? I'm just estimating. That would work. I'd like that.

I hear the with the Revolution you can download the games for around a buck a piece, and play them on there, but that controller is butt ugly and you don't get the same feeling. You know what I mean? Which is why I go on E-Bay and garage sales to find the old ones instead of just downloading roms. I like the feeling of the old controllers and such. Call me an elitist if you want, but it's just my preference.

If all the old systems that I have and love were to get released like that in some way, I'd buy them all in a heartbeat and put the stuff I have now up in storage.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think you are thinking of copyrights. I don't think there are any patents that are longer than 25 years. Remember the purpose of patents is to grant the inventor and exclusive license for a limited time in exchange for disclosure of the invention to the public.

14. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Actually, copyrights last the original author's life plus 50 years.

15. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

There actually IS a company making a new NES. It's called the Generation NEX, and I've already ordered one (in a drunken stupor nonetheless...someone take my credit card away!)

Here's the link:

http://www.playmessiah.com/index2.htm

It's compatible with all NTSC NES and Famicom cartridges! Yay!

16. widgetguy macrumors regular

yea patents are 20 years but i wouldn't buy any wack ass old system i was born in the atari days but nes days yea i'll just modd the xbox 360 to play it hehe!!!

17. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Though that is cool indeed, and I might order one just because, the problem is not that I need a new system. I just want to buy a system with all the NES games that I can plug right in and play, so I don't have to keep scouring all over the place for game that may or may not work.

Though I guess that's part of the fun of being into old-school gaming.

18. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

hell i am up for one. i even got the orignal i bought new back in the day that still works.i wish they would bring more old consoles out like the snes the jaguar the 3DO and others now that would rock

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

whoah! a NES... with 2.4ghz wireles... wireless controllers... DUAL MONO!!! (if thats anything likes my uncles amp then wow) ... i want it. badly.

*eagerly looks forward to Messiah SNES!*

hey wonder if the patents for the Amiga are up for grabs? or probably not since they released that AmigaONE not so long ago.

20. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

What's even cooler, and I don't remember them ever really mentioning it on their site but they've said it in interviews, is that they've bumped up the processor to support more colors, sprites, etc. Obviously, this won't affect classic games since they're not programmed to display more than they're supposed to, but they're letting 3rd parties develop new games for it!

Hmmm..... can't wait to see what kind of games people will make (or even remake).

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that is some pretty cool stuff- the Generation NEX especially. :)

22. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I was looking at the game list on that thing and it's missing one classic game that should have been on there. If they ever do a Flashback 3.0, it needs to be included.

ET. The worst game ever made.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

its called a modded xbox, with emulators and roms.

Get one.

Or try it on your mac if you dont want to use a TV!

Dont pay for old school games unless you want to collect the physical carts. There is no point in paying for stuff that is available "free" if you know where to look.

24. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would love to see a rerelease of either the NES or the NESII, mine is suffering from the flashes of death, and I'd love to keep it around for several more years.

SNES on the other hand, still works perfectly, and you can pick up a used one for $20 at any pawn shop.

TEG