Re-releasing old games for OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnthonyKinyon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. AnthonyKinyon macrumors regular

Maybe this is just a pipe dream without much chance of becoming a reality, but what about all the old games for the Classic Mac OS? Weren't some of them pretty decent or even good at the time? (Note: I was a DOS/Windows user in the 90s and don't have a lot of Mac gaming experience beyond the past year or so on OS X). I see little reason they couldn't be spiffed up to take advantage of new video cards/CPUs, etc. and re-released for OS X. Sure there would be some development time/money considerations but it could also possibly really boost some sales and bring in income from "retired" products no longer being sold or in circulation, and the companies could actually get some more profit from them by re-releasing them as updated/fixed-up versions now (universal binary, etc.) could they not?

I found this today and I guess that's what got me thinking about this. I think the graphics, etc. could be improved (maybe some multiplayer LAN/Internet added to some games).

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

About the only thing I've seen updated lately would be Doom, Quake 2, and Descent 2.

3. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

These were updated lately?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Descent 2 is being updated almost once a week, but you have to have the original files to play. I have them but I need to get them from an old drive somewhere.

I'm sure there are threads on these games on MacRumors.

5. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Just look on eBay for an older Mac with OS9 on it. I recently got my old Bondi Blue iMac up and running with OS 8.5, and a lot of older games along with it. I bet you could find a working older Mac for less than $100. Probably $50. Shipping would be no telling how much, though!

6. Fezwick macrumors 6502

I wish there was an OS X version of Deus Ex. I have wanted to finish that game for a while. While it runs alright in classic, it has a lot of graphical anomalies. Aspyr (or whoever has the rights to it) should release the source code so someone could port it over.

And while they're at it, someone should port Rune, too. :p

7. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like a good idea. Have you submitted it to Aspyr (if it's them?) at http://support.aspyr.com/ ?

8. AnthonyKinyon thread starter macrumors regular

I bought an iMac G3 on eBay in mid-2004 but I gave it away to family members. I don't know if they use it but maybe I could get it back if they aren't using it. I'm not one to take back gifts but I know their primary computer runs Linux. Maybe they no longer need the iMac. Will check. :)

9. Fezwick macrumors 6502

There is a thread on the Inside Mac Games forum where Glenda Adams (lead Mac developer at Aspyr) said if there was enough interest in older games being ported to OS X that they would see what they could do. My guess is that there isn't enough interest, or that they simply don't have the time/resources to do such a project.

As for the source code being released, we can only hope. :)

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Gamerhood gives us a higher chance of seeing some old titles make their way to OS X. From the recent Glenda Adams chat:

11. jedijds macrumors newbie

Deus Ex in OS X

Fezwick,
    You mentioned that Deus Ex runs all right in Classic. Have you gotten it to work? What is your system and how are you doing it? I pulled this game out a few days ago, but unfortunately when I run it in Classic, it works pretty well but when I try to save, it will often crash and report a Saving Error and a problem with my SaveInfo.ds file. Have you encountered this problem? What OS X and classic versions do you have, what are your extension sets, etc.? Any suggestions you have would be very helpful! Thank you!

Jonathan