re-ripping as AAC, but how to copy ID3 tags?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nodmonkey, May 4, 2003.

1. nodmonkey macrumors member

Now we have iTunes 4 and AAC encoding capabilities, I'd like to re-rip my CD albums into the more efficient AAC encoding format.

However, the already encoded mp3s in my iTunes library have personalised ID3 track info, such as genre, comments, ratings, etc. Re-ripping the CD will be fine, but how can the ID3 info be copied into the new AAC tracks from the existing mp3 ones.

I realise this could be done by hand, typing in the details to each track again and re-rating, etc. Is there no better way to copy and paste this info for a bunch of tracks in one go?

:confused:

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

I don t think it will be possible. But when you rerip them the id information can easily be accessed by cddb servers on the net. or am i mis understanding your question.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i think the key phrase was "personalized id3 track info"

i doubt there is a way. i doubt it very much.

4. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I doubt you can do it automatically. Why are you reripping? Are you low on HD space or something?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah this is just too "iffy" for the software to do automatically. If you're hellbent on converting your library to AAC, my advice would be to re-rip one or two CD's at a time, and copy personalization over-- if you do it all at once, you'll probably go postal somewhere around CD #40. :D

pnw

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Don't worry, the Apple Programmers did it right

When you try to import something already in your itunes library, it will recognize that it is the same disc and ask if you want to reimport the tracks. If you say yes, itunes will move the mp3s to your trash can and replace them with the new AAC files and keep the id3 tags.

7. nodmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Re: Don't worry, the Apple Programmers did it right

it doesn't do this on any disc i have tried so far. maybe someone will work out some hack/script which could force iTunes to associate some playlist tracks with the inserted disc tracks.

not much hope then :(
    and 'personalised' was the key. and yes, this is about reducing disk-space usage.

8. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Re: Re: Don't worry, the Apple Programmers did it right

Do you know you can get a 120 GB hard drive from staples for 100 bucks? Maybe you should look into that. Just read their fliers every week, the HD deals flauctuate (sometimes 60 gigs for 60, 100 for $120).

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why not just use the CDDB? I never have to touch info tags unless someone uploaded messed up info to the CDDB. :)

10. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

There personalized (rating, comments, ect)

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am not sure what I am doing right and you are doing wrong, but as I re-rip my CDs into AAC, my playcount, ratings, comments, playlists (dynamic and static), are all maintained. The old mp3s are in the trash can and the new ones have taken their place as good as any X-Files alien replacement.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, yeah if you want that then you'll need to transfer. Personally, I don't use those, so...

13. nodmonkey thread starter macrumors member

partial solution!

It seems that the iTunes auto-replacement works if the ALBUM TITLE, ARTIST and TRACK NAME match in your library and the inserted CD. So, for example, "Michael Jackson" or "Jackson, Michael" would need to be edited so the two matched. Capitalisation does not affect the success of iTunes' matching, though the capitalisation of titles in the new files will be used in the replacements.

Most personalisation seems to be maintained by iTunes, including song rating and playcount. But personalised genre settings are lost and replaced by the CD track settings. I'm not sure about the "CD x of x" setting nor the Compilation y/n setting.

Hope this helps some other people. :)

14. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ahh thats why its nice to have every cd track in Aiff or Wav that way I can always transfer to the latest compression codec becuase I'm sure MP5s will start coming out soon, my guess is 5 channel surround sound audio compression. And all you need to store all this music is a giant hard drive you can get 250GBs for under $230, i dont know why compression is so important to everyone. Seems like a lot od work to constantly re-rip audio collecions.

Tyler

15. Anne macrumors member

Re: partial solution!

This is what I've found. For some CDs that I've re-ripped, I am not asked if I want to replace the old tracks, but it just lays down new tracks. I assume this happens when I've changed key information such as things in the title or artist. unfortunately I didn't realize this right away, so have ended up going and deleting a lot of duplicate files. bah.

16. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I have created two new dynamic playlists:

AAC
    kind is "AAC audio file"

and
    MP3
    kind contains "MPEG"

After I rerip all my CDs, I will go through the MPEG playlist and check to see if they are in my AAC Playlist, if they are and everything seems fine, I will then delete the mp3 library files.

Out of 250 CDs so far reripped, the only one that I had troubles with was my Austin Power's Goldmember soundtrack. I guess I am lucky.