re: taking care of your iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switcher22, Nov 21, 2003.

1. switcher22 macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2003
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just got my first (new mac user) iBook today and wanted to get advice on how to best take care of it.

Especially with regards to transporting it, cleaning it.....basically anything that more seasoned users have found out that might be of help.

Also, I haven't got the AppleCare yet as it was a bit expensive right now (student budget) you think its worth it?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Definately!!! Laptop repairs are very expensive and I would recomend getting the applecare. you can buy the applecare within a year of the purchase.
  3. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2003
    The 909
    I got my iBook in January, and it turns out that they are just about indestructible :) Mine has been dropped more times than I care to count and I just toss it in my backpack when I need to carry it around, and all it shows for all of that abuse is a few scratches. Although if you prefer to keep your hardware looking pristine, you'd probably want a case ;)
  4. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Keeping your iBook prestine is a near impossible task, the case scratches real easy... It's just aesthectic, but some people don't like it. If this is your case, make sure you always use a case to transport it.

I just through mine in my backpack, and as coolsoldier said, it's pretty much indistructible. There are quite a few stories of iBooks flying and falling, and getting up with just a few extra scratches.

I guess day to day care is just the same as any other piece of computer hardware: nothing much. Keep it dust free, clean the screen, etc if that's your thing... or just let it be and it'll be just fine.

Enjoy your new computer and welcome to the Mac family!

(the word "indistructible' is a relative term, don't try goin' at it with a baseball bat ;))
  5. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    You can add AppleCare to the notebook any time during its initial year of hardware warranty coverage. Wait until you're getting close to that year before doing anything. If you're still using the ibook and don't plan to upgrade soon, get the coverage. If you're thinking of upgrading, that's the time to upgrade. (And sell the ibook with enough time left on the clock for the new owner to get applecare.)

As for the rest, transport it in a padded bag. I use a LowePro EX-1300 which has a sleeve in the main compartment that is a perfect fit for the 12" ibook. I mean perfect. It's designed for larger laptops to be slid in side-down but the ibook fits perfectly back (or front)-down. It holds the ibook very snugly. No sliding around. No parts exposed to be scratched by other stuff in the bag. I think I paid $50 for the bag. Maybe less. I'd also recommend a small sleeve or messenger bag for times when you just want the laptop without all of the accessories. Timbuk2 has some nice (if a bit pricey) options. Booqbags has some nice stuff as well.

Cleaning: Don't eat near the laptop. It's one thing if you drip chili in a $20 desktop keyboard. It's another thing entirely if it drips down into your optical drive. Also, the wrist rest areal will get dirty. Doesn't matter how often you wash your hands. It's gonna happen. I scrub at it with glass cleaner once in a while and that keeps it at a tolerable level. Some people use comet/ajax/etc. scouring cleaners. Just be careful that you don't get any cleaning agents inside the ibook. And stick to a damp cloth for the trackpad. On the screen, all I've used is a lint-free cloth moistened with filtered water. If you need more than that to get stuff off your monitor, review the "don't eat near the laptop" section.
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    My ibook is indestuctible to the point that my freinds like to drop it for fun.
    Mine was a refurb so the case was way scratched up i'd advise you to just get a thin cotton bag to put it in when in a backpack rather than geting a bag that says i am carrying a laptop please rob me on the side.