Reaaaal easy network question..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by liamski, Feb 25, 2007.

1. liamski macrumors member

Jan 14, 2007
    Hey there

Real easy 'finder' question

I have wireless networked access to drives on my Windows PCs

Every time I go to access them in Finder, I have to click Network, then choosing the drive I want. It's all a bit laborious

Is there any way to create a permanent shortcut in Finder to this network location?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You should be able to just drag it from inside the Network folder to the lower portion of the Finder Sidebar, creating a shortcut to it.
  3. supermario19 macrumors member

Aug 17, 2006
    I think if you drag it anywhere outside of the finder it will do the poof thing and dissapear. What you can try is to go into finder preferences (while finder is open click finder > preferences) and under general check show connected servers on the desktop. Once its on the desktop you should be able to drag it somewhere and make an alias.
    Of course I don't know if this will keep it there once you reboot, which is probably what your looking for. but the alias should stay, and when you open it, it might reconnect.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Once you've mounted the drive(s) [manually], open up System Preferences...->Accounts->[your account]->Login Items and drag the mounted drive icon(s) to that list.

They'll mount automatically next time you boot/log in, assuming they're available.
  5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2006
    On one of my Macs of course
    Aloha liamski,

I do exactly the same thing in my home network. What I've done is to go to Finder -> Properties -> Sidebar. Make sure that Hard disks, Connected servers, and Removable media (such as CDs) are all checked. Then simply click on empty space on your desktop and press Command-N (to bring up a new Finder window), and you'll see your networked drives. I normally run my MacBook Pro on Airport and access my two external drives (connected to my iMac via USB) like above. One of the externals has my movies, and the other has Mac programs and my iTunes library - in that way, they're kind of like networked drives :D